Author Topic: Chromium specific error alert urchin Tracker is not defined...  (Read 1710 times)

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
L.S.
(directed to those, that are into JavaScript error hunting and dabbling into JavaScript browser coding development)

I have the following extension installed, "Javascript Errors Notifier" on the browser,
and combine that to track errors on pages with an occasional clicking the Ctrl+Shift+I combination
to visit the develeoper's console of the webclient a.k.a. browser.

On the scanning page of Dr. Web's online check results, I got "urchin Tracker not defined".

About the issue at hand, read: https://ma.ttias.be/urchintracker-is-not-defined-google-analytics-error/
This "urchin Tracker not defined" is a Google analytics error,
because urchin.js is prevented to run in the browser by a particular browser adblocker extension.

The solution for developers is to modify their javascript, so it includes a check to see,
if the function exists, before calling it.   (Info credits here go to Matti).

N.B. With the called extension one will experience a couple of specific alerts for errors,
that are typically caused by Google chromium and otherbrowser chromium forks to form a mono-culture online,
so such typical Google chromium related JavaScript errors will become one day more and more prevalent. (pol).
So you may experience this error also on Brave, but less in Cliqz Internet browser, which is derived from firefox.

polonus (volunteer 3rd party cold reconnaissance website security analyst and website error-hunter)

N.B. Attached specific error report with errors I encountered with Google Chrome
on that Dr. Web scan-page page mentioned...

Damian
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
Re: Chromium specific error alert urchin Tracker is not defined...
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2019, 10:12:14 PM »
Not always such errors found up with Javascript Errors Notifier are related to browser extension interaction,
there could also be other inner javascript errors, like for instance in manipulation.js

Read: https://github.com/jquery/jquery/pull/2634  (info credits go to Leonarda Braga).

Consider
assert.equal( j.children().text(), "text", "Tags with multiple hypens behave normally" );
} );

QUnit.test( "html(String) respect the spec for tag names (gh-2005) ", function( assert ) {
define( function() {

// Match a standalone tag
   return ( /^<([\w-]+)\s*\/?>(?:<\/\1>|)$/ );
   return (/^<([a-z][^:\/\0>\x20\t\r\n\f]*)[\x20\t\r\n\f]*\/?>(?:<\/\1>|)$/i )
  As a regular expression suggestion (see Leonarda Braga's content).

This in the light of a threat like, "!"Request's used in SSI attacks ->
...something.php=<!%20--#include%20virtual="hxtp://host2/fake-article.html"--> for instance.
This to include a file from B to make it appear it arrives from A.
Could execute commands locally on a remote host if php is written poorly enough.

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!