Author Topic: exec.exe ?  (Read 3940 times)

Happy-Dude

exec.exe ?
« on: August 27, 2006, 12:15:17 AM »
I was looking at processlibrary.com and found that one of my running processes was exec.exe . From what the site is telling me, it is a trojan ? I'm going to run a check-up on my system after this, but any advice for what I should do about it ? I ended the process immediatly. And any info on what it does ?
« Last Edit: August 27, 2006, 12:28:11 AM by Happy-Dude »

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
Re: exec.exe ?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2006, 12:56:14 AM »
Hi Happy-Dude,

If exec.exe is found in a particular position, and the registry is changed as shown in the information below, you are right, and should follow the removal instructions as given:

http://www.sophos.com/security/analyses/w32spybotz.html

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Happy-Dude

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2006, 01:18:35 AM »
Is it possible that because I ended the process that I can't find it ? I'm using the built in search tool in the registry, but it doesn't seem to be able to find it ...
« Last Edit: August 27, 2006, 02:00:02 AM by Happy-Dude »

mauserme

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2006, 06:23:39 AM »
Terminating the process won't change the registry so if you can't find it this might be benign.  A file named exec.exe is also part of NetZero.

Have you scanned with Ewido?

You could also upload the file to Jotti:

http://virusscan.jotti.org/

Happy-Dude

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2006, 11:43:24 PM »
Yeah, I ran a full system checkup on my computer last night and I was clear (phew !) of anything malicious. That's a good thing for me. And before that, I installed WinPatrol onto my system and it identified the process as something related to Netzero Internet software. I use Netzero ocassionally as my dial-up service (as I mentioned on one of my posts).

Code: [Select]
Terminating the process won't change the registry so if you can't find it this might be benign.  A file named exec.exe is also part of NetZero.
So I guess your right mauserme !! Thank god I don't have anything malicious on my system !! Now ... To try and notify Process Library on updating the info ...