Author Topic: A little help after installing CCleaner and EasyCleaner  (Read 4630 times)

Happy-Dude

A little help after installing CCleaner and EasyCleaner
« on: August 28, 2006, 09:11:24 PM »
Well, after installing CCleaner and EasyCleaner last night, I ran them both and nothing seemed wrong. So I was pretty content until today when I ran SpywareBlaster. Each time I ran it, a Window Installer came up and asked me to put in my Backup Dell Installed Programs disk. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling SpywareBlaster, but it didn't help. So eventually I did, and the message went away. Anyone have a clue what happened ? My guess is that it is related to the registry thing, but anyone else know what happened ?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: A little help after installing CCleaner and EasyCleaner
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2006, 09:39:11 PM »
Some install files (or registry keys) were removed.
The majority of the times this is related to temporary files that the installer did not keep safe on the disk.
I suggest you uninstall, if possible, the Backup Dell manage tool and install it again...
Automatically registry cleaners could, from time to time, mess your system  ::)
The best things in life are free.

Happy-Dude

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2006, 10:39:19 PM »
Yeah, thats what I thought happened. Some registry files might have been deleted. After using the CD, I guess it replaced the registry files once more. I guess CCleaner and EasyCleaner deleted them because it's been awhile since I've come across the backups. Luckily, everything seems fine now !! :)

-EDIT-
Oh yeah, forgot to mention, the EasyCleaner undo option doesn't seem to work well ... Anyone know how its supposed to restore and undo ? (CCleaner uses a file to restore, while EasyCleaner uses its own program ...)
« Last Edit: August 28, 2006, 10:41:57 PM by Happy-Dude »

Spiritsongs

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2006, 11:03:07 PM »
 :)  Hi :

Your experience is one of the reasons I do NOT have
     either program on my computer ; as far as I know,
     SpywareBlaster does NOT "run" . Did you use the
     SpywareBlaster "tutorial" at :
     www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/index.php?showtutorial=49  ?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2006, 11:14:59 PM »
Oh yeah, forgot to mention, the EasyCleaner undo option doesn't seem to work well ... Anyone know how its supposed to restore and undo ? (CCleaner uses a file to restore, while EasyCleaner uses its own program ...)
EasyCleaner is just to restore the backup.
CCleaner is just to execute (run, double click) the backup file (*.reg) and import the keys back to Registry.
The best things in life are free.

Happy-Dude

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2006, 11:19:49 PM »
Thanks, there is no problem now. I got SpywareBlaster configured to enable all protection originally. SpywareBlaster reports that my Browsers are configuered in a recommended, safer way, so I'm okay. I'm not going to use the other tools (snapshot, etc. etc.) because I do it manually myself and might stop some of Flash games I play (hey, I'm still young, let me have some fun !!).