Author Topic: Win32 adware gen found in java classes HELP!!  (Read 4522 times)

uniquetanner

Win32 adware gen found in java classes HELP!!
« on: June 21, 2007, 04:09:43 PM »
Please help me. I am not sure where to start. Avast finds win32 adware-gen in C/Windows/java/classes/vbip.dll
When I try to move it to chest, it says it cannot because it is being used by another process. So, I have to do nothing. It seems it does it when I try to right click on something. And all day today, IE keeps getting errors and shutting down.
I have AVG, Avast, SuperAntispyware, Lavasoft Adaware, Spybot and Hijack this on my pc.
What do I need to do first.
PLEASE HELP!!!

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Win32 adware gen found in java classes HELP!!
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2007, 04:18:17 PM »
What is your OS ?
If you have XP or Win2k, you could enable a boot time scan. Right click the avast icon, select Start avast! Antivirus, Menu, 'Schedule boot-time scan...' Or see http://www.digitalred.com/avast-boot-time.php

With malware present in Java classes it is usually an indication that you have an old version of Java installed. Ensure you have the latest version of JRE (JAVA Runtime Enviroment) because older versions can be vulnerable to malware. First remove All Older Versions From Add/Remove Programs.
Then get the latest update from here http://www.java.com/en/download/index.jsp

By AVG do you mean the anti-spyware program or anti-virus ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.5.6116 (build 24.5.9153.762) UI 1.0.808/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

uniquetanner

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2007, 04:21:30 PM »
AVG anti-spyware.
I will check on my version.

uniquetanner

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2007, 04:40:12 PM »
Ok, I removed my old java, and reinstalled the current version. Now what?
Oh, I have XP

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2007, 06:27:48 PM »
Run a boot-time scan (as previously suggested) as that will be able to deal with any files that were previously in use.

Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.5.6116 (build 24.5.9153.762) UI 1.0.808/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2007, 11:55:03 PM »
Besides avast scanning at boot time and AVGas scanning, you could, download, install, update and run SUPERantispyware, Spyware Terminator and/or a-squared. If any infection is detected, better and safer is send the file to Quarantine than to simple delete than.

If you still detecting any strange behavior or even you're sure you're not clean, maybe it will be good to test your machine with anti-rootkit applications. I suggest AVG, Panda and/or F-Secure BlackLight.

After you're clean, use the immunization of SpywareBlaster or, which is better, the Windows Advanced Care features of spyware/adware cleaning and removal.

Finally, when you're clean, check for insecure applications with Secunia Software Inspector to update insecure applications and avoid reinfection.
The best things in life are free.

mauserme

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2007, 06:30:20 AM »
SuperAntiSpyware may clean this but you would probably be better off using VundoFix.

Download VundoFix.exe to your desktop.

Double-click VundoFix.exe to run it.
When VundoFix re-opens, click the Scan for Vundo button.
Once it's done scanning, click the Remove Vundo button.
You will receive a prompt asking if you want to remove the files, click YES
Once you click yes, your desktop will go blank as it starts removing Vundo.
When completed, it will prompt that it will reboot your computer, click OK.

Note: It is possible that VundoFix encountered a file it could not remove.
In this case, VundoFix will run on reboot, simply follow the above instructions starting from "Click the
Scan for Vundo button." when VundoFix appears at reboot.

A log will be produced which you can post in your next response along with a HJT log.