Author Topic: Question about Shields  (Read 3103 times)

lilydiane2

Question about Shields
« on: September 23, 2006, 07:49:09 AM »
Hi All, I downloaded Avast about a week ago and I like it very much but I have noticed that because of the Shields my web pages load alot slower but most of all when I go to play my online games they really load alot slower. Can I disable some of these shields and still be protected. Sheilds that don't pertain to me are Outlook/Exchange, P2P. Any advise you can give me would be appreciated. thank you.

Regards
lilydiane2

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
Re: Question about Shields
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2006, 09:04:44 AM »
You have given us some information that is not entirely clear.

Perhaps you can help us with a bit more information.

Your operating system
Your default browser

What are the "sensitivity" settings you have selected for the Standard Shield, for the Web Shield?

If you do not use Microsoft Outlook then terminate the Outlook plugin provider.  If you do not use a P2P client then terminate the P2P provider,  If you do not use Instant Messaging then terminate the Instant Messaging provider.  However, the reality is that if you are not using these services then they consume very little resources on your system.

I cannot notice the difference between browsing with the Web Shield active and with it turned off. 

You have said that pages load a lot slower with the shield active and that your online games are a lot slower, can you see anything that is "hogging" resources in your system if you look at the task manager?

Can you try turning off the providers of avast one by one to see if there is any significant improvement to your system's performance with one provider turned off?

lilydiane2

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2006, 02:22:09 PM »
HI alanrf, thank you for replying to me so quickly, I really like Avast and my main interest is learning all I can about it so I can upgrade to the Pro version.
a) Windows XP SP2
b) Internet Explorer
c) "Sensitivity" settings set at "Normal"

I also have "SpySweeper" running with 12 sheilds active.
While I have your attention I also would like to know if I should schedule a "Boot Scan" for every morning when I start up mt PC or just "periodically". I will monitor Task Manager to see what is using up my resources. Thank you again.

Regards
lilydiane2

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2006, 03:32:34 PM »
Quote from: lilydiane2
I also have "SpySweeper" running with 12 shields active.
Are you referring to avast having 12 shields active ?

If so, avast 4 Home only has 7 providers (shields) and usually there are only 6 running (outlook/exchange is usually not running), so you would appear to have duplication and a failed installation.

Try a repair of avast. Add Remove programs, select 'avast! Anti-Virus,' click the Change/Remove button and scroll down to Repair, click next and follow. You need to be on-line to do this.
If that doesn't work try, uninstall, reboot, install, reboot.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.5.6116 (build 24.5.9153.762) UI 1.0.808/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

lilydiane2

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2006, 03:40:08 PM »
Hi again alanrf, I was just reading a Microsoft article and I thought I would bring it to your attention. I have Satellite high speed service and microsoft stated that with Satellite sevices that surfing the web or playing online games would be slower due to the fact that the signal is bouncing fron satellite to satellite. Maybe this is where I am having a problem.

Regards Diane

lilydiane2

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2006, 03:44:35 PM »
Hi DavidR,  Please re-read my post. I am aware of how many sheilds Avast has. I was referring to Spy Sweeper that has 12 shields.

Regards
lilydiane2

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2006, 04:03:12 PM »
I read it, I even quoted it, I don't use spysweeper, so excuse my ignorance when seeking clarification in the hope of helping you. I shan't waste any more of your time.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.5.6116 (build 24.5.9153.762) UI 1.0.808/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

lilydiane2

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2006, 04:19:28 PM »
Hi again DavidR, I'm so sorry if I sounded abrupt, it was not my intention, I'm only seeking a solution to my problem and if you can help that would be a plus. thank you.

Regards
lilydiane2