Author Topic: Need help with step in uninstall process  (Read 3286 times)

pdxpamela

Need help with step in uninstall process
« on: October 26, 2006, 07:15:19 AM »
I am having a problem with using the uninstall program, I had Avast! on my PC and I had to uninstall but my new virus program won't work stating I still have Avast on my system.  I ran the uninstall and where you enter the path for the avast I did find one site that was C:\Program Files\Alwil Software and I ran the uninstall (aswclear).  
I completed this task and reinstalled my virus program and again it would not work since it continues to say that I have multiple virus programs and specifies Avast.
My question is this: at the beginning of the uninstall it asks you to "select product to uninstall which is Avast!4 then next I am asked to enter path to folder where selected product is installed"  that's the problem, what do I put there?

Please forgive my repetitiveness, I am doing the best I can consider what I have to work with currently.  

Many thanks to all who read and respond to my problem.
Pamela

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Need help with step in uninstall process
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2006, 09:39:32 PM »
I am having a problem with using the uninstall program, I had Avast! on my PC and I had to uninstall but my new virus program won't work stating I still have Avast on my system.  I ran the uninstall and where you enter the path for the avast I did find one site that was C:\Program Files\Alwil Software and I ran the uninstall (aswclear).
First you need to uninstall by Control Panel > Add/Remove programs.
If it fails, or has problems, than use the uninstall tool and point it to the folder you have *really* installed avast and not just the default one.

I completed this task and reinstalled my virus program
Which one? Did you installed a third antivirus? If so, which one?
The best things in life are free.

pdxpamela

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2006, 10:02:19 PM »
OK, this is the deal, when I bought my PC it had avast!4/Prof version however I am a member of aol and have been since like 1995.  I was told that I had to choose between avast and aol and since I have total tech support with aol I mistakenly deleted avast.  I deleted it the way the help info told me, I can't recall whether I used the uninstall on avast program or if I used the add/remove in control panel, I did as the instructions advised per avast.

Now four months later and my antivirus program part of my safety and security program with aol just stops working giving me the message I have multiple antivirus programs, namely avast.  I checked everywhere on my pc and could not find even one avast file.  Therefore I wrote my request for help "Novice needs help"

I was told to do the uninstall from avast which I tried, part of the uninstall process asks you to put in the name of the program and then the path/folder name where avast is located but I since I have no folder name or since I can't find any avast files what do I put in that blank area in the aswclear uninstall program.

That is my question, what do I put in the uninstall process where it asks for the path to folder to uninstall as I can't find anything associated with avast.

I was told the avast uninstall would take care of the registry which is probably where the problem is.
I am very overwhelmed, frustrated and not in good health and this is really stressing me out.  Sorry to be such a drag with this problem.

Thanks for your help and sorry if I am just not getting this, I hope you may explain this to me.Pamela

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2006, 10:32:37 PM »
This is the default installation location for avast, C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4 assuming that was were it was installed. You may find that that location no longer exists, I suggest you create the Alwil Software and Avast4 folders in the Program Files folder and then try running the uninstall utility again giving the C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4 as the location.

If as I suspect the uninstall utility is checking the registry for a folder location that is different to what you input it may not find anything.

Is there anything in the registry keys Like the registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ALWIL Software, see image. I suspect this will have been removed.

There are other registry keys that you could also check HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ALWIL Software, there are some others but I can't recall them at the moment.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2006, 01:34:03 AM »
That is my question, what do I put in the uninstall process where it asks for the path to folder to uninstall as I can't find anything associated with avast.
You can create a new empty folder. Anyone.
Point to it and run the program.
It will delete that empty folder and try to find and delete any avast key on Windows Registry  ;)
The best things in life are free.