Author Topic: Avast Icon (Solved)  (Read 2644 times)

Dock

Avast Icon (Solved)
« on: October 16, 2006, 03:59:39 PM »
Hello, following a restore I had to make on my PC, the Avast icon (blue sphere with a white A) has disappeared from my tray and I do not receive any message any more. I checked the set-up of Avast and this icon is supposed to appear.
Do you have any suggestions to make it appear again?
« Last Edit: October 17, 2006, 07:15:06 PM by Dock »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Avast Icon
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2006, 04:25:43 PM »
1. Check the option in the Appearance tab of settings.
or
2. Repair your avast installation through Control Panel.
or
3. Make a link to ashdisp.exe in your startup folder
or
4. Add the path to ashDisp.exe into a value named avast! in the Windows Registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

Are you by any chance using spysweeper?
If so, use the restore/recover or whatever it may be called to restore the deleted registry entry and update your definitions file for spysweeper. It reports incorrectly (false positive) the avast ashDisp.exe which is the icon you see on your system tray.
Other programs that can block are the startup monitors: PrevX, ProcessGuard, WinPatrol, TeaTimer, Ad-watch, etc.
The best things in life are free.

Dock

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2006, 07:14:31 PM »
Thanks so much, I used option 3 and it worked !  ;D

Actually I recently installed Spywareblaster. I also have Ad-watch running in background but in the past it did not prevent the icon from appearing.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2006, 07:24:34 PM »
Actually I recently installed Spywareblaster.
Not related in my opinion.

I also have Ad-watch running in background but in the past it did not prevent the icon from appearing.
Maybe you can see if there is a 'Quarentined' item for ashdisp.exe in Ad-aware...

It won't be bad if you at least check the Windows Registry to see if the entry is there (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run).
The best things in life are free.