Author Topic: ashServ.exe problem??...  (Read 3572 times)

Mares

ashServ.exe problem??...
« on: November 11, 2006, 12:36:04 AM »
hi people,

i have one problem with my avast in a last few days.
Everytime while i am on the net, avast is rotating on every 30sec-1min and in that period computer freezes in one second. I saw in task manager that process ashServ.exe use around 99% of cpu while doing that operation on every 30sec-min,and thats the moment when computer freeze. This happens when the avast is regulary set on "on-access scanner".....when i disable on access, theres no problem with computer.
I use avast 4.7 home, and have no problems with viruses or other spwares,adwares etc...

So any idea why is this happening?
(avast is set on his default options as it was always,and works ok without any errors except this one that appeared a few days ago)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: ashServ.exe problem??...
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2006, 02:14:35 AM »
I use avast 4.7 home, and have no problems with viruses or other spwares,adwares etc...
You will if you keep switching off the on-access protection.

What are you doing when the icon is rotating, general browsing, downloading, P2P, etc. what ?

ashServ.exe is the main scanning engine and when the icon is rotating avast is scanning. It is usual for it to spike for a short time whilst it is scanning but this seems strange. What are your system specs, CPU, RAM, etc. ?

What other security based software do you have that might be scanning content, e.g.  SpySweeper, Spyware Doctor, PrevX, WinPatrol, ProcessGuard, etc. ?

Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD - 27" external monitor 1440p 2560x1440 resolution - avast! free  24.9.6130 (build 24.9.9452.762) UI 1.0.818/ Firefox, uBlock Origin Lite, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Mares

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2006, 04:04:49 AM »
yes i know that its not so safe to turn off on-access but only that way i can work on computer normaly.
Btw, I do evertything as usual on computer - playing music, surfing net,p2p,games,programs etc . I know its normal to rotate avast icon when something scans, but its not usual to freeze comp on every approx 30sec when it do the turn.
Beside avast, i dont use any running security programs (expect windows firewall).
Periodicaly I scan system with spybot s&d and with lavasoft ad-aware.
All hardwear works correct.

Maybe to reinstall avast?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2006, 01:46:19 PM »
I asked exactly what you are doing when this happens to try and pin down which provider is initiating the scan.

You don't say what your system spec is, I ask because, is it up to the job of all this multi tasking and AV scanning.

Sorry but if you don't answer the questions, I'm just guessing and that doesn't help either of us.

A reinstall has in the past overcome high CPU usage, if ashServ.exe sticks on 100% and the icon isn't rotating, indicating a problem, conflict/corruption, etc. This is possibly considering your comment "i have one problem with my avast in a last few days."
Assuming things were working fine before that, have you added any programs just before the problem occurred ?

Try a repair of avast. Add Remove programs, select 'avast! Anti-Virus,' click the Change/Remove button and scroll down to Repair, click next and follow. You need to be on-line to do this.
If that doesn't work try, uninstall, reboot, install, reboot.

It would probably be best to download the latest version of avast and save it to your HDD, somewhere you can find it again. Use that when you reinstall.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD - 27" external monitor 1440p 2560x1440 resolution - avast! free  24.9.6130 (build 24.9.9452.762) UI 1.0.818/ Firefox, uBlock Origin Lite, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Mares

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2006, 03:41:15 PM »
i found out the problem. Freeze problem happns when i run utorrent and start downloading something with him. Then when avast do the turn, it freeze comp on a second. When I close utorrent,avast keeps turning periodicaly as it should but theres no problem with freezing. Its strange because, I tried yesterday without utorrent running and it kept doing the freeze problem (or maybe i am jus triping,lol). Well now its ok, but dont know why is utorrent problem, when it worked fine with avast until last few days.
When I finish dloading a file, I will try to reinstall utorrent.
Beside,as the hardwear is ok,but i will write the components as you ask:
amd xp1900+
2+256ddr (kingston and elixir)
gigabyte 7vax
creative sb 5.1 live
160gb western digital
20gb maxtor
dvd rw 111d pioneer
cd rw lg 16x

Mares

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2006, 04:07:09 PM »
I've just stopped provider for p2p on avast and now everything works fine. Avast is running as on-access and utorrent too and theres no freeze, but avast won't scan downloaded files over p2p. Well this is temporary problem solution, until I reinstall utorrent or find another way do solve this.

ps. when I run dc++ (p2p program) with able p2p scan on avast, theres no freeze, so this only happens with utorrent.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2006, 04:37:17 PM »
This has been seen in a number of other forum posts about utorrent and high cpu activity causing pause/freeze. Sorry I don't use a p2p program so I wasn't following those posts too closely. Other than utorrent other p2p applications didn't seem to suffer this problem.

Try a forum search for utorrent and cpu that may cast some more light on why.

Welcome to the forums.

Mares

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2006, 01:16:15 AM »
ok...will do the search about utorrent