Author Topic: PuXpMan.exe  (Read 2630 times)

SCORPIONINBLUE

PuXpMan.exe
« on: December 11, 2006, 12:23:57 AM »
I ran across something very intersting concerning a file called PUXpMan.exe, it was in my startup and I  disabled it.  What I read said that it was a trojan installed by Ashampoo's Power Platinum program which they offered to me free and downloaded.  I removed the program, went back to my start up list and saw that it was still there but still disabled (I hope).  Now being accused of being a trojan is mighty bad, what do you guys know and advise about this?  It seems strange that it would be left behind especially after I 'removed' the parent program.  Is something really rotten in Denmark? here.

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
Re: PuXpMan.exe
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2006, 12:33:16 AM »
Funnily enough I have just been working a log with that file and all my research has returned it as a legitimate file.  If you are concerned you could upload it to Jotti http://virusscan.jotti.org/  and see what they say.  It will remain in msconfig as in all probability the registry link is still on your system

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: PuXpMan.exe
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2006, 01:10:38 AM »
I ran across something very intersting concerning a file called PUXpMan.exe, it was in my startup and I  disabled it.  What I read said that it was a trojan installed by Ashampoo's Power Platinum program which they offered to me free and downloaded.
Strange... Ashampoo used to be a serious company  ::)
Are you sure?

I removed the program, went back to my start up list and saw that it was still there but still disabled (I hope).  Now being accused of being a trojan is mighty bad, what do you guys know and advise about this?  It seems strange that it would be left behind especially after I 'removed' the parent program.
Well, the replicant infection is a normal malware behavior. They're deleted, they come back...
There are a lot of posts about virus replicants: disable System Restore , clean temporary files, use avast boot time scanning, trojan removers and so on.
The best things in life are free.