Author Topic: I'm confused...  (Read 2779 times)

Mackaylinn

I'm confused...
« on: December 12, 2006, 11:44:56 PM »
Frogive me but I have a few questions...
First: After I installed the Avast when I now start up my computer it loads the folder my documents along with the other 40 things that load and it's annoying. how do I make it stop...?
Second. ok under the scanner sensitivity it says Instant Messengers: - MSN Messenger - ICQ - Trillian Messenger... ok but the only messengers I have that I know of are Yahoo and ICQ. I have no clue why the other two are showing up... am I missing something...? and it also said P2P Shield: - Kazaa & KazaaLite I don't have that either so why do they show up on the list...?
Also when I run the scan it takes like two hours to scan the following location D:\Inetpub\mailroot\Badmail I go there and there is nothing there so why does it take two hours to scan that folder...?
Sorry I'm not very computer literate. So any help is good.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: I'm confused...
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2006, 12:47:01 AM »
First: After I installed the Avast when I now start up my computer it loads the folder my documents along with the other 40 things that load and it's annoying. how do I make it stop...?

That isn't avast doing that but windows. If you happened to deleted some malware when you installed avast, there could be a run command for that process, if windows can't find the file for some weird reason it opens the folder the file should have been in. The trouble is trying to find what that was.

Can you give examples of these 40 things ?

Second. ok under the scanner sensitivity it says Instant Messengers: - MSN Messenger - ICQ - Trillian Messenger... ok but the only messengers I have that I know of are Yahoo and ICQ. I have no clue why the other two are showing up... am I missing something...?

Click the Details button on that display screen, it will open things up go to the Instant messaging and click customize, you will now see a list of all the IMs that avast supports. What you saw in the initial screen is just the first few of those, if you want you can uncheck the IMs you don't use.

The same is true of the P2P Shield.

Also when I run the scan it takes like two hours to scan the following location D:\Inetpub\mailroot\Badmail I go there and there is nothing there so why does it take two hours to scan that folder...?
You don't say what the type of scan nor sensitivity you did, a thorough scan with Archives enabled, which I think you tried will take a long time. Though two hours for a single folder no matter how large seems wrong.

You don't say what the system is, what windows version, CPU, RAM, etc.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.6.6121 (build 24.6.9241.848) UI 1.0.809/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Mackaylinn

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2006, 02:36:56 AM »
ok first off I'm running Windows 2000 professional I dunno my CPU, RAM, etc. I just know I'm on a really old dell OptiPlex GX110. man I can't wait to chuck this thing off my balcony.
so maybe 40 items was a little much... but when I load up the following programs all load... Avast ICQ Yahoo McAfee (which I hate.) and I think thats it.
I know the malware that was deleted was attached to a program called bit defender. did more harm then good to my computer.  >:(
I think thats it...
Mackaylinn

Spiritsongs

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2006, 05:34:45 AM »
 :)  Hi :

WHICH McAfee program do you have on your computer ? IF it is McAfee antiVIRUS, then you
     should COMPLETELY REMOVE either it or Avast, because there should NOT be 2 different
     antiVIRUS programs running on the same computer at any moment in time. What "year's"
     McAfee program do you have, because McAfee has slightly different "Removal Tool" depending
     on which year's product you have ?
     Bit Defender is another high-quality antiVIRUS program like Avast; do you have any portion of it
     still on your computer ?
     Avast primarily "quarantines" VIRUSES; there are other Good & FREE programs that mainly detect
     and quarantine other "types" of "malware", like trojans,worms,keyloggers, dialers, etc .

Offline oldman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Some days..... MOS...this bug's for you
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2006, 06:47:17 AM »
.. Avast ICQ Yahoo McAfee[/]

To add to what spiritsongs says about having two avs (if it is mcafee antivirus that you have), this could explain the long scan time. Two avs will not play nice together. If you do have a second av installed, once it is removed you should see a marked improvement in the preformance of avast.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2006, 12:51:48 PM »
I think you have pretty much explained your problem, possibly and old system which will be slower to start with, right click the My Computer icon it will give the information I asked about CPU, RAM, etc.

Possibly having two AVs installed will not only duplicate the scan but also probably conflict further slowing or locking the scan. Far from doubling protection two resident AVs are likely to conflict which could leave you vulnerable.

You also didn't say what type of scan you were doing, without this type of information we are working in the dark, guessing and this doesn't help you or help us to help you.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.6.6121 (build 24.6.9241.848) UI 1.0.809/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security