Author Topic: possible IE virus/trojan  (Read 2859 times)

AYssaver

possible IE virus/trojan
« on: December 27, 2006, 01:38:12 AM »
By accident I opened an empty page (one-click-too-far syndrome... happens :( ). As "show source" option revealed the page wasn't empty, but contained some kind of bytecode written by JS' document.write() function. What I'm concerned about is that avast! didn't say a thing and I have reports of this being a trojan using popular communicator and yet another IE security hole to spread out. I have the source of the page saved in text file.

avast! version 4.7 Home Edition (4.7.892)
VPS compilation date: 2006-12-26
VPS file version: 0662-2

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
Re: possible IE virus/trojan
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2006, 04:22:17 AM »
I would recommend running Housecall to get a second opinion. Also it would not hurt to run a Anti-Spyware scanner like Ad-Aware or AVG antispyware (formerly Ewido)
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

DallasPCDoctor

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2006, 09:39:39 AM »
A majority of us have ditched IE and gone to FireFox. This has slowed down the bad stuff that seeps in through Billy Gates browser.

AYssaver

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2006, 12:25:36 PM »
There's always gonna be a hole in a browser, no matter which one. What I ment is that I probably caught a virus and if anyone is interested in learning more about it.

Housecall and AdAware found nothing odd (except usual amounts of tracking cookies), which leaves us with two possibilities: either the hole used by the virus got fixed, or it's something new, not yet detected by any of these programs (nor avast!).

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2006, 08:29:03 AM »
if the avast and trend micro engine found nothing I would not worry it sounds like you are virus-free. Just run windows update to get any security updates and make sure you run a firewall (even if its just the built in XP one)
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay