Author Topic: No User Interface  (Read 5942 times)

nootch

No User Interface
« on: January 14, 2007, 04:56:04 PM »
Downloaded free Avast Home Edition and do not have User Interface. Posted this before, but I think it was in the wrong forum

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: No User Interface
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2007, 05:21:34 PM »
What do you mean? Don't you have an 'a' blue icon on system tray?

We will need more information to be able to help you:
- Which OS are you using? Is it up to date?
- What avast! version and VPS file (virus database) number?
- Do you use a firewall? Which one?
- Do you have any other antivirus installed in your system?
- Any other security programs that could interfere?
The best things in life are free.

nootch

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2007, 12:59:53 AM »
I do have the icon, but nothing showing to schdule scans. Avast 4.7 home, VPS version0703-0, Windows XP with auto update, using Windows firewall. Had been using AVG but it is turned off.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2007, 01:15:02 AM »
Avast home does not have the shedule scan option. But there is a workaround with the taskmanager. This is explained in other threads on this board.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2007, 01:52:17 AM »
I do have the icon, but nothing showing to schdule scans. Avast 4.7 home, VPS version0703-0, Windows XP with auto update, using Windows firewall. Had been using AVG but it is turned off.

Check this work around out - HOWTO: Scheduled Automatic Scans avast! Home Version!

The major disadvantage with the task scheduler trick of using ashquick.exe is, it will scan every file of the hdd, partition, folder or file that you set it to scan; even those files not considered a potential threat, this can take a long time. It is possible to add certain folders to the exclusions list for say your media files, etc. This could leave you vulnerable if that folder got infected as it wouldn't be scanned by the on-demand scanner as you have excluded it.

The Pro version gives a lot more flexibility and the scan would follow the settings and exclusions, etc. of the regular scan.

With the different levels of protection of and the fall back of the Standard Shield, I find the need for daily scheduled scans lessened. I prefer to do a manual scan with my regular weekly maintenance tasks.

Simply switching AVG off isn't enough, you should uninstall it as there is too much chance of a conflict.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free  24.8.6127 (build 24.8.9372.870) UI 1.0.818/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

nootch

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2007, 02:01:39 AM »
Thanks to all for the help

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2007, 02:05:27 AM »
No problem, welcome to the forums.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free  24.8.6127 (build 24.8.9372.870) UI 1.0.818/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

news

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2007, 02:12:49 AM »
I will definitely be trying this.  :)

Thanks for the information and the efforts of everyone involved in coming up with so many ways to work with making this software user friendly.

I was wondering if their was a way to schedule a scan with the free software.
Now I know.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2007, 02:43:01 PM »
Your welcome, there have to be differences in the Home version otherwise it would take sales from the Pro version. For the most part these differences are automation in some areas of the User Interface, Home has the Simple UI and the Pro has the Enhanced UI where many automated options can be selected and further customized.

The programmers have to eat ;D

But, even with these restrictions avast is the most flexible and configurable AV I have used.