Author Topic: Problem between Avast4 GUI and CLI  (Read 7991 times)

vendion

Problem between Avast4 GUI and CLI
« on: August 14, 2007, 03:28:53 AM »
I am running openSUSE 10.2 and when I was running a scan on my system Avast GUI says this:
File "/windows/C/pagefile.sys" is infected by "Win32:Adloader-AC [Trj]" virus.
Version of current VPS file is 764-8, 08/12/07.
I tried to tell Avast what to do with it but no matter what I told it it errored out, so then I run avast from xterm on /windows and the CLI avast reported that /windows is virus clean.  Not knowing which version of Avast is right I am running Clamav to see what it says, but shouldn't the GUI and CLI be giving the same report, considering its the same program.  I will post the result of clamscan.  Could I have possable stubled upon a bug in Avast?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Problem between Avast4 GUI and CLI
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2007, 03:36:55 AM »
Most probably a false positive of the Linux version.
When you run a boot time scanning with Windows, will avast detect this file as being infected?
The best things in life are free.

vendion

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2007, 03:47:40 AM »
No, according to avast, using both boot time scanner and on-demand scanner, under windows, and the Microsoft Live One Care scanner my windows boot is clean.  I can tell that more than likely its a false positive, seeing as every scan I ran on my system except the Linux versions GUI came up as my system being clean.  Clamav's clamscan even came back as being clean.

Dublin

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2007, 05:46:03 PM »
please, update avast to the latest VPS file and then try to scan the file again

vendion

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2007, 08:37:03 PM »
Same GUI picks up the Win32:Adloader-AC [Trj], using VPS version 765-1, 08/13/2007, and the CLI  says that it is clean

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2007, 03:56:28 PM »
Could the difference be in different scanner settings ("all files", "whole files", etc.)?

vendion

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2007, 07:33:01 PM »
Well using the GUI I tell it to do a thorough scan including archives, and at the command line I let it do the default action which is to scan all files including archives, as far as I can tell it is the same thing.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2007, 07:35:36 PM by vendion »