Author Topic: Erro message when starting Avast!  (Read 2369 times)

mactepu

Erro message when starting Avast!
« on: April 14, 2007, 07:56:05 AM »
hi, am using avast 4 pro edition and do have a small problem with it.  :). when i try to open my avast, this massage appear :

"Unknown error - Application cannot load skin. Function "usiGetSkin" failed."

i try to read the FAQ and did try run this command :

"C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\REGSVR32.EXE ACTSKIN4.OCX" as suggestion in the FAQ, but there's new error msg appear :

"RegSvr32 - LoadLibrary("ACTSKIN4.OCT") failed - The specified module could not be found"  :'(

what sud i do then? somebody help me...  ;D

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Erro message when starting Avast!
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2007, 02:31:36 PM »
Is this the first time you have installed avast or has the skinning previously worked ?

I'm not sure what the module can't be found means as I don't have any ACTSKIN4.OCT on my system so it must be something that is created in the process.

Try a repair of avast. Add Remove programs, select 'avast! Anti-Virus,' click the Change/Remove button and scroll down to Repair, click next and follow. You need to be on-line to do this. I'm not sure how effective this might be as the skinning functionality is provided by a third party tool.

If that doesn't work try, uninstall, reboot, install, reboot. Ensure you have your Pro license key that was emailed before you reinstall. If this is the pro trial version, uninstalling will effectively end the trial and when you reinstall you will only have 6 days trial left (anti-piracy, etc.) so don't rush into this reinstall.

For some reason, ActiveSkin (the 3rd party library avast uses for skinning) does not seem to be working on your system. As a workaround, we may disable skinning in avast - that should solve the problem. Program Settings, Common, and uncheck any option with skins mentioned (see image, avast-no-skin).
If you are unable to access the above you can do this manually. To do that, open the file <avast>\data\avast4.ini, look up the [UserInterface] section, and add the following entry: StartWithSkin=0
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD - 27" external monitor 1440p 2560x1440 resolution - avast! free  24.8.6127 (build 24.8.9372.870) UI 1.0.818/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

mactepu

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2007, 07:07:46 AM »
Thx DavidR, the first option you suggested, to try the repair option, it works!  ;)

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2007, 02:41:12 PM »
No problem, glad I could help.

Welcome to the forums.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD - 27" external monitor 1440p 2560x1440 resolution - avast! free  24.8.6127 (build 24.8.9372.870) UI 1.0.818/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security