Author Topic: need help please  (Read 2837 times)

skooidi

need help please
« on: June 07, 2007, 10:44:00 AM »
hi, i'm a noob and need a little help. i scanned my pc with avast and moved the infected files to chest. problem is, now i can't open drives on double click. i need to right click and choose open or explore. i'm guessing the file that was needed for this is in the chest/deleted (i think i deleted infected files). so my question is how do i get things back to where they were and if viruses attack files that are meant to run the system, wouldn't it things to not work when files are isolated?

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
    • Don't Surf in the Nude!
Re: need help please
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2007, 12:11:10 PM »
Hi skooidi,

You should always put infected files in quarantine ('the chest') rather than delete them so you have the option of restoring the file if it was a false positive.

However, I think this may well be a registry change made by the malware, rather than a missing system file.

See this thread:

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=28632.msg234088#msg234088

And the descriptions of symptoms here:

http://forums.techguy.org/security/556776-autorun-vbs.html

If this seems to match your problem, try running the Clean_Autoruns batch file linked to in the second page above.

The effect of deleting or moving a system file will depend on the job the file does: some are critical and the system won't start without them. Others are only called on demand so you might not notice any problem until you try to perform a specific task.
     Bambleweeny 57 sub-meson brain     Don't Surf in the Nude Blog

sasin44

suspect VBS:Solow..
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2007, 01:29:01 PM »
hi check avast log
right-click on avast simple user interface[the thing that comes up after u click on the avast ickon on desktop]>>there click on the option named log viewer..
u'll get the list of malware that avast has detected and from there u can find the name of the malware that u are speaking about...

from my encounter with a similar virus i think u have classic symptom of VBS:Solow..
it causes the same effect..
if ur infected u should also consider boot-time scaning ur comp..right click on the avast simple user interface and select boot-time scan option..cos a lot of malware have a bad habit of sittin in "system restore information" folder

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
Re: need help please
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2007, 01:44:57 PM »
Hi sasin44,

The manual removal routine for solow-c:
Solow.c manual removal:
Delete registry values:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\maskrider
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\Window Title=[new title]
Help: how to remove registry entries

Delete files:
maskrider2001.vbs
Help: how to remove harmful files

Misc:
The maskrider2001.vbs file can be found in the root of the main hard drive (C:). It also resides in main Windows folder C:\WINDOWS or C:\WINNT.

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!