Author Topic: Re-Install After System Recovery  (Read 2706 times)

brokenpcs

Re-Install After System Recovery
« on: June 13, 2007, 08:27:26 PM »
 Although I do not write much I do come here and read from time to time.

Sorry if this was discussed before. However being I do not have my text to speech programme up and running totally I have issues trying to find the exact solution.

With that said I had some problems with my HP computer in which it locked up that I couldn't get into any files nor folders. Did though go into safe mode and did a virus scan only to see another corupted file that wasn't there before. Not sure if that caused an issue though I downloaded a programme recently.

Anyway I had to do a system recovery which restored the computer back to it's original state of factory. This of course brought back the Norton though I did not have majour issue like before uninstalled it before using their trial. This is why I want avast in my computer fast. lol.

OK now you got the background here's my issue. Being that my computer is back to the original state it was a non distructive recovery in which left my doc. and programmes basically alone. However of course my programmes like avast and screen reader isn't in the add and remove folder just in the programme folder.

My question is should I just delete the avast off the desktop as well as in start menu and delete it from the programme folder? Then download the new version? Or is there a step to step that I need to do to make sure avast is totally out of my computer. I did try to open it on my desktop and it went into where I have to put a license key in which I now do not have but again it's not in my add and remove folder therefore it may not have everything as it should.  ???

So any help I would appreciate it. Thanks In advance 

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Re-Install After System Recovery
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2007, 08:53:03 PM »
Before doing anything get as much as you can so you can have it available for when you are ready to do a clean re-install.

It would probably be best to first download the latest version of avast http://www.avast.com/eng/programs.html and save it to your HDD, somewhere you can find it again. Use that when you reinstall.

Download the avast! Uninstall Utility, find it here and save it to your HDD so you can find it later.

A link worth looking at, which is a program removal tool that can remove the remnants of a number of different Norton Programs:
Removing your Norton program using SymNRT

Run that to ensure that all remnants are removed after running the Norton add remove programs entry (if present), this should get rid of all elements of Norton, reboot.

Once Norton is completely gone, were possible use the add remove programs to uninstall avast, rather than deletion from the desktop, etc. If that isn't possible run the Uninstall utility and reboot. Now you can install the latest version you downloaded.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.6.6121 (build 24.6.9241.848) UI 1.0.809/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

brokenpcs

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2007, 10:25:56 PM »
David Thanks for your help.

I wasn't sure if I should just delete avast being it wasn't in the add / remove. But I will download the uninstall as I do not know if avast has made a newer version of it. Then take it out that way.

***....a program removal tool that can remove the remnants of a number of different Norton Programs:
Removing your Norton program using SymNRT...***

As for that symnrt for norton I found it to be a joke because it did not remove everything of norton and it crashed my computer. After looking through a needle in a haystake as it were on nortons site they finally answered my question when their symnrt goes aray. And it looked like it did more then not from the people complaining about the same thing. They tell you the best is to go through registry and delete all the norton, symantic keys and values. Giving step to step procedure!

Anyway what I did this time with norton is first I never activated it. Second this time it had their own uninstall programme that I used instead of going through add / remove folder. After that I double check startup in msconfig to see if there was anything left there and no there wasn't. Then I went into the registery and backup it first of course before going through all the sub files and found out not one thing of norton was left. So this time it is all out of the registry so I am able to install avast again.

After of course I download uninstall and make sure it is totally out before I install the newer version.

Again thanks for your help.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2007, 11:14:23 PM »
Your welcome.

SymNRT has worked for many in the forum and the main reason we suggest it is because it avoids the manual search through the registry, etc. If you are happy enough to do it manually then no problem in doing it that way.

Let us know how you get on.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.6.6121 (build 24.6.9241.848) UI 1.0.809/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security