Author Topic: No icon, no dectection by security center.  (Read 3740 times)

ronz

No icon, no dectection by security center.
« on: June 01, 2006, 11:28:03 PM »
I installed Avast Home Edition on a used computer I bought which has Windows XP Pro on it. It also had McAfee installed which I uninstalled and replaced with Avast.

I now get a message box when the computer is booting up saying something like "you have upgraded your operating system and Avast won't work on this system. Avast needs to be reinstalled."

I downloaded Home Edition again and reinstalled Avast, but I continue to get this message box, plus I have no Avast icon showing in the system tray. And, the Windows Security Center is not detecting a virus protection program. However, I have used Avast to scan the hard drive, removable media, and certain files and it works fine then. Anyone else have a problem like this or can offer advice as to how to troubleshoot this problem?

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
Re: No icon, no dectection by security center.
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2006, 11:37:14 PM »
Aren't you running the avast setup program in a compatilibity mode? (compatibility with some other OS, such as Win2K)
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2006, 03:14:28 AM »
I now get a message box when the computer is booting up saying something like "you have upgraded your operating system and Avast won't work on this system. Avast needs to be reinstalled."
Did you change your system file from FAT32 to NTFS after avast has already been installed?
The best things in life are free.

CharleyO

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2006, 05:41:51 AM »

Welcome to the forums, ronz.    :)

Also, are you sure you completely uninstalled McAfee ... including registry entries?

mfrderilab

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2007, 09:46:54 PM »
Hello, I am looking for some help on the same topic. I used Norton Antivirus 2007 before. Used the uninstall/remove software functions. Yet no Avast Icon in the system tray and the same message saying I upgraded my system and that Avast won't run.

Can anyone help? Thanks

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2007, 11:23:27 PM »
A link worth looking at, which is a program removal tool that can remove the remnants of a number of different Norton Programs:
Removing your Norton program using SymNRT
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD - 27" external monitor 1440p 2560x1440 resolution - avast! free  24.9.6130 (build 24.9.9452.762) UI 1.0.818/ Firefox, uBlock Origin Lite, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2007, 12:44:06 AM »
About a solution when Windows Security Center does not recognize antivirus:
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=23457.msg193534#msg193534

ronz, the original poster, never come back to say if the solutions work, to thank... I hate this...  :P
The best things in life are free.