Author Topic: windows cannot access the specified drive...  (Read 5889 times)

wilerk

windows cannot access the specified drive...
« on: October 12, 2007, 08:13:13 AM »
Hi there,

I'm a big fan of avast and I tell everyone I know about it, thanks for making such a great product!

Yesterday avast found a virus on my external hard drive and it was successfully removed. Now when I try to open the drive to see it's contents I get the error: 'Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permission to access the item'. I have tried to put me as the owner on the drive and giving me full access, when I check later I still have all these permissions and I am still the owner, but I keep getting this error no matter what. I run Windows Vista Business and the hard drive is where my work is stored.

Has anybody got some tips for me on how to fix this?

Regards,

Xander

wilerk

Re: windows cannot access the specified drive...
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2007, 04:24:56 PM »
Hi again,

It seems it's working when I changed the permissions, except I still get the error when I go to my computer. On the left when I click on the drive in the folder list I have access, most probably one of the wonderful great improved new features of Vista.

Thanks for taking your time to read my post.

Regards,

Xander

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: windows cannot access the specified drive...
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2007, 05:45:08 PM »
What is the malware name, the infected file name, where was it found e.g. (Malware Name, C:\windows\system32\infected-file-name.xxx) ?  Check the avast! Log Viewer (right click the avast 'a' icon), Warning section, this contains information on all avast detections.

Is this external hard drive one that is only connected to your system or a USB pen drive that might have become infected on another system ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free  24.8.6127 (build 24.8.9372.862) UI 1.0.814/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security