Author Topic: Log issue?  (Read 3276 times)

sanctuary24

Log issue?
« on: October 10, 2007, 07:12:48 PM »
When I try and open Avast log it sometimes fails to open straightaway yet if I close a lot of applications it suddenly opens can someone from Avast team look into this and reply in this topic please

ps it shows as active in processes in task manager but not in application list

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Log issue?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2007, 08:17:21 PM »
Are you using Windows 98 or Millenium?
How much RAM do you have?
The best things in life are free.

sanctuary24

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2007, 11:55:51 PM »
Windows XP service pack 2, 512MB RAM

Although this has only recently started happening it never used to, could a program update have altered it in such a way that would cause this?

I mean its only a log so it shouldn't use much RAM anyway

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2007, 02:17:46 AM »
I just checked this on my 7 year old (but up to date) system with Win XP SP2 512Mb memory and 1GHz processor. 

I stacked up some applications on the system and then opened the avast Log Viewer.  It did take a couple of seconds to open but that does not seem too bad given that it probably needed to page out some stuff. 

It probably helps my system a little that it has its paging file on a second internal drive. If you check the task manager before you try to open the Log Viewer are you anywhere near the limits of your paging file space?   

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2007, 02:56:34 AM »
Could a program update have altered it in such a way that would cause this?
No. I don't think so. No Log Viewer changes is last updates.

I mean its only a log so it shouldn't use much RAM anyway
Yeah, you're right. The difficulty of RAM problems is to reproduce it in their labs and find a 'solution'.
The best things in life are free.

sanctuary24

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2007, 04:45:35 PM »
my page file is about 798Mb (or around that) and at the time it was saying less than 500Mb (in use) when the issue occured but after closing iexplore (internet explorer) the page file dropped and a minute later the log opened.  So in a way it probably is to do with my page file but I still think the log shouldn't take so much RAM to open, so if the Avast team can reduce its demand for RAM etc then I feel the problem would go away