Author Topic: Avast causing Windows Media Player/System Lockups  (Read 4524 times)

smokethapimp

Avast causing Windows Media Player/System Lockups
« on: October 10, 2007, 06:29:57 AM »
Hello. I have had to uninstall Avast again as it was causing or contributing to Windows Media Player locking up and freezing my entire system rock solid (hard shutdown reboot only way out of the lockup!!). I know Avast is involved because when I un-installed it and re-installed CA Internet Security's Anti-Virus instead of Avast, all WMP problems completely disappeared.

I was using CA's Internet Security Suite Firewall, Anti-Spyware, and Anti-Spam along with Avast and loved it - except for the WMP complete system lockups. The CA ISS causes terrible boot-times when I also use the CA ISS Anti-Virus. I am talking 2min. 30sec. to boot up. With Avast the boot time is half that. I would really like to be able to use Avast in conjunction with the CA ISS Firewall, Anti-Spam, and Anti-Spyware - And still have WMP functional. Am I dreaming? Is this not possible?

I am sorry I always seem to have a problem when I post. But when things are fine I am very quiet. ;D

Anyway, thanks again for a great free Anti-Virus. I do appreciate all you here at Avast do to help make the internet a safer place for all to visit.

MarKvi

Re: Avast causing Windows Media Player/System Lockups
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2007, 01:28:51 PM »
Hi

Just to be sure i installed CA ISS Firewall. Anti-spam and Anti-spyware together with CA:
Parental control
Website inspector
Desktop DNA Migrator
Personal FW
all suites versions 2008 - latest download from website and updated after installation.

Same with avast! version 4.7.1043

All under WinXP SP2
Windows Media player 9 - test ok
Windows Media player 10 - test ok
Windows Media player 11 - test ok
tested - mp3, avi files

So im not sure if my versions and OS are the same, but i cannot see any problems.

What about your previous security applications, they were removed without errors ? Or, are you using still another Antivirus , Firewall etc... together with these ? 

smokethapimp

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2007, 07:18:12 PM »
Thank you for your reply, and for the time and trouble you took to try and help me. :)

I am using Vista Home Basic OS. I have all info in my Signature Line. I am using the CA ISS 2007 that is provided free from RR Highspeed Internet Service.
It consists of CA Anti-Virus, Anti-Spyware, Personal Firewall and Anti-Spam. I update this every day. While using Avast, I had un-installed the CA-Anti-Virus, leaving the other 3 parts of the CA ISS in place and functional. I had not experienced WMP problems before installing Avast in conjunction with the CA ISS (minus their Anti-Virus Program). I have not experienced WMP since un-installing Avast. I am behind a hardware router/firewall, but use no other software firewall other than the CA Personal Firewall.

My system came with McAfee Internet Security Site pre-installed. I un-installed this thru the Control Panel Add/Remove Program section. As far as I know it completely un-installed. I then tried ZoneAlarm Free Home Firewall, but it didn't work well with Avast, so I un-installed ZA.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2007, 07:31:31 PM »
If it were as suspected an AV clash you wouldn't see anything until you installed avast.

I don't know anything about the CA ISS, but I don't know how effective any uninstall of just the AV element would be whilst everything is running. With some other security suites we have recommended uninstalling the complete package and reboot. Now do a custom install and don't select the AV element, this should be better as it wouldn't be installing any AV virtual device drivers.

McAfee has an uninstall tool that you could run to ensure any possible remnants are removed.
http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/VSCleanupTool.exe
2007 version - http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/MCPR.exe
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.6.6121 (build 24.6.9241.848) UI 1.0.809/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

smokethapimp

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2007, 08:39:44 PM »
David, thank you for your reply.

You are correct. I saw NO WMP problems until I installed Avast. Also, the WMP problems vanished as soon as I uninstalled Avast from the Control Panel Add/Remove Programs section. I had already tried "Shutting Down" all the avast providers and then starting WMP. Still got the rock hard crash that required a hard reboot.

I will likely run that McAfee tool later today when I get back home. Then do a full uninstall of CC ISS. Then do a full install and update of Avast. Then reboot, and do a partial install of the CA ISS, meaning install only the Firewall, Anti-Spam and Anti-Spyware.

I have already done a full "search" for all things McAfee, and ZoneAlarm, and Check Point (and checkpoint), and found nothing during that search procedure.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2007, 09:03:48 PM »
That is the problem with any conflict, remove any party of the conflict and no conflict, the problem being that doesn't confirm it was the guilty party.

I use WMP and obviously avast and no problems at all, not on Vista but XP Pro, though I don't know how much of a difference that would make.

Good luck in the hunt.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.6.6121 (build 24.6.9241.848) UI 1.0.809/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

smokethapimp

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2007, 02:39:42 AM »
David, thanks again for the suggestion about the Full Uninstall on the CA ISS.

I first did a Full uninstall of CA ISS and rebooted. I then did a full Install of Avast, and fully updated. Rebooted and did Install of CA ISS Personal Firewall, Anti-Spyware and Anti-Spam. Rebooted. Did full Update of CA ISS, rebooted. Now WMP is functioning properly, as are Avast and the parts of CA ISS that I did Install. ;D ;D ;D

Thanks again.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2007, 03:44:18 AM »
Your welcome, I just glad that your up and running now.

MarKvi

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2007, 07:33:57 AM »
Its good to know that everything is fine now ... 8)

smokethapimp

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2007, 08:39:41 AM »
Mark, thanks again for all the time and trouble you spent to help me. It is genuinely appreciated. ;D