Author Topic: Mail software hanging  (Read 2357 times)

nabele

Mail software hanging
« on: October 18, 2007, 07:07:39 PM »
Hello,

I am really having a bad day today. I need to access my emails and everybody is blaming the others on the reason why it doesn't work. Including on the posts that I have seen here on this topic. I do not have the habit of asking anything on a forum before trying and seeing all the info by myself.
So here is the layout:
My machine is a laptop on WinXPSP2 pro enUS latest update
My e-mail is Foxmail 6.10(POP) latest
My antivirus is Avast 4.7-1043
My Anti spyware is Sbybot 1.4
My Firewall is Zone alarm 7.0.362

To make things short here is the problem:
I need to backup my mail present on the mail server. I use Foxmail. I want to protect my laptop against viruses.
When I get the mails through Foxmail and Avast Internet Mail is terminated all works fine but no protection -> unacceptable for me
When I get the mails through Foxmail with Avast Internet Mail active, on big mails (>500KB) the downloading process halts on the way -> impossible to work

Now can someone logic tell me what can I do to solve the problem with Avast as I have tried all sorts of timeout combinations either on Avast or Foxmail, the problem is still there!

Thanks a lot for your help, it is much appreciated.

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
Re: Mail software hanging
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2007, 12:26:23 AM »
What kind of connection do you have, broadband or dial up?

nabele

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2007, 01:26:16 AM »
Hello,

I am using ADSL at 4000Kb/s with a permanent connection (no timeout)

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2007, 06:54:39 AM »
I have Win XP Pro SP2
Same avast as you - with Internet Mail provider running (at High sensitivity).
Same Spybot as you
I do not use ZoneAlarm - just the Windows XP firewall.

I installed Foxmail 6.10 - I made no change to the default settings (I notice timer set to 180 seconds).
I loaded up my POP account with a series of emails varying size from 4Mb to >8Mb.

I set up my POP account in Foxmail and asked it to download the messages.  All of them downloaded successfully and all show as scanned by avast.

So, I tried but failed to reproduce your problem.  My connection is cable at 6Mbps but that should not make a significant difference from yours.   The only significant difference is ZoneAlarm.

Have you made sure to turn off the mail scanning option in ZoneAlarm?

nabele

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2007, 09:42:53 AM »
Hello,

I tried to activate mail protection on.vbs in ZoneAlarm, disable it, Disable Zone Alarm as a whole. The problem is still there.

I do not believe it is linked to ZoneAlarm, now.