Author Topic: The worst virus i have ever had  (Read 29475 times)

eru

Re: The worst virus i have ever had
« Reply #30 on: November 11, 2007, 07:46:10 PM »
oki thanks everyone

rdmaloyjr

« Reply #31 on: November 11, 2007, 07:53:26 PM »

But, when you compare the free and even the pro version against a number of other free firewalls you see how much the free version is lacking.
Precisely. The free version of ZA loses when compared to other free firewall, in my opinion.

ZA Pro is also beaten by some of the free firewalls too.
The best test is real world use.  ZA Free does a good job.

ZA Free is my favorite fw, but I don't recommend it as it uses too much RAM & noticeably slows down my computer.  Even though, I use it on my desktop.

I recommend PC Tools Firewall Plus, it doesn't slow me down & does a good job.  I have it on my laptop.

Tech,
Why?
  What's wrong with unbiased recommendations about anything for everyone?  My favorite fw is ZA, but I recommend PC Tools fw.  If I was biased I would recommend ZA.  I also like Jetico v1, in my opinion it's the best.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #32 on: November 11, 2007, 08:09:48 PM »
You selectively quoted my post yet didn't say you wont recommend Comodo. Or that you somehow think those who recommend Comodo are somehow biased, they too are for the most part relating their real world experiences or firewall test results.

Here is the part you chose to leave out.
Let's try and give some unbiased advice to people rather than the latest fashion, please.
Excellent advice for anyone recommending Comodo!

You should then follow your excellent advice and apply it to any negative comment on another firewall and back-up the comment, which I guess it not for recommending Comodo.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD - 27" external monitor 1440p 2560x1440 resolution - avast! free  24.9.6130 (build 24.9.9452.762) UI 1.0.818/ Firefox, uBlock Origin Lite, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

rdmaloyjr

« Reply #33 on: November 11, 2007, 08:35:40 PM »
You selectively quoted my post yet didn't say you wont recommend Comodo.
I'll let everyone make their own decision on Comodo.

Or that you somehow think those who recommend Comodo are somehow biased, they too are for the most part relating their real world experiences or firewall test results.
Can I be honest?  I think they are biased.

rdmaloyjr

« Reply #34 on: November 11, 2007, 09:10:03 PM »
eru only asked for a fw recommendation at DavidR's very wise reommendation for him to use a software fw with outbound protection..

We shouldn't have gone where we went.  Why are fw's such a touchy subject?  Their's nothing wrong with a recommendation or better yet recommendations.  All systems are different, some fw's work on some, some don't.  Use what works for you.

Maybe this bickering is because we all misunderstand each other.  I wish no contention with anyone.

Maybe when the avast! Personal Firewall comes out this bickering will end. ;D ;D ;D   

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #35 on: November 11, 2007, 10:34:33 PM »
Hi rdmaloyjr,

Do you why every time the term COMODO turns up here in this webforum it stirs up so much controversy, and if not controversy some commotion?
I left ZA for COMODO only because ZA would not let me run Torpark, and kept crashing there.
I hardened my personal version of COMODO with some additional packet filtering code (vuurmuur batch file and filters). I log all outgoing and incoming connections with my own version of FreeMonitor and spotted nothing out of the ordinairy so far.

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

rdmaloyjr

« Reply #36 on: November 11, 2007, 10:51:10 PM »
Hi rdmaloyjr,

Do you why every time the term COMODO turns up here in this webforum it stirs up so much controversy, and if not controversy some commotion?
I left ZA for COMODO only because ZA would not let me run Torpark, and kept crashing there.
I hardened my personal version of COMODO with some additional packet filtering code (vuurmuur batch file and filters). I log all outgoing and incoming connections with my own version of FreeMonitor and spotted nothing out of the ordinairy so far.

polonus
No contention intended. Did you read my previous post?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #37 on: November 12, 2007, 01:27:01 AM »
rdmaloyjr, I'm not biased.
I've tested ZA, PCTools and Comodo on Vista. Only ZA works, not satisfactory (delays), but works. Other two have problems on network/service.
I've tested (and used) ZA on Windows 98 to Windows XP.
I've tested Outpost, Kerio, Sygate, Jetico, Look and stop...

You blame against my biased comments... I just post tested experiences of my own. The tests are mine, can't be used or applied to all users. But, after all, I'm not biased.

On antivirus world, I've used McAfee, Norton, AVG, NOD32, TrendMicro, BitDefender, Avira. There is a reason that keep me on avast. Do you really think I'm biased?
The best things in life are free.

rdmaloyjr

« Reply #38 on: November 12, 2007, 01:36:09 AM »
Tech,
I didn't point a finger at you or any individual.

Do you feel guilty?  ::)

Enough is enough.  Let's get on with life.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #39 on: November 12, 2007, 01:48:46 AM »
Tech, I didn't point a finger at you or any individual.
Thanks for making it clear.

Do you feel guilty?  ::)
For sure not. I'm sincere, my mind is clear, what I think, I post.
The best things in life are free.