Author Topic: Itunes Install  (Read 2898 times)

CPK

Itunes Install
« on: November 14, 2007, 05:52:27 AM »
I am trying to install Itunes on my XP machine.  It errors on install as it cannot register with the server.  On Apple's web site, they say this is caused by virus software and to un-install the virus software temporarily while installing itunes.  I have tried to stop all Avast services and install with the same result.  I really don't want to un-install Avast to do install Itunes.  Does anyone have any other thoughts on this?
Thanks,
Chuck

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Itunes Install
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2007, 02:56:45 PM »
Well I would say you shouldn't need to disable avast to install itunes, much less any other application, with the possible exception to another security application and even then I would be doubtful. avast shouldn't stop you registering the server (apple on-line registration I assume), it isn't a firewall.

What is your firewall ?
What other security based software do you have that might have an impact, anti-spyware, etc. ?

When installing software is probably the time you most need your AV running.

Having disabled all the avast services yet the problem still exists would lead me to believe the problem is elsewhere (firewall possibly as I mentioned earlier) and uninstalling avast probably won't resolve it either.

Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD - 27" external monitor 1440p 2560x1440 resolution - avast! free  24.9.6130 (build 24.9.9452.762) UI 1.0.818/ Firefox, uBlock Origin Lite, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

CPK

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2007, 04:52:11 PM »
Thanks for the reply.  I would not think I need to remove Avast either.  I am using a D-Link Router for the firewall.  As a test, I removed the router and went directly from my Cable Modem to my PC to make sure that was not the issue.  No luck.  Still the same error. 

I am only running Avast right now.  My PC died and I built a 'Frankenputer' out of a bunch of old ones I had laying around so I could slave my old hard drive and get my data.  I formatted the main hard drive when I loaded the system so it was clean.  I loaded Windows XP, IE7, Avast, Office, Adobe Acrobat and Windows Media 10 (in that order).

Can't think of anything else to do.  With all of the installing and downloading, I could have removed Avast and tried it just to find out but I agree, that should not be necessary so I have not done that.  Maybe I will do it just to be sure once and for all as I need to figure this out or I am sure I will see it again as I continue to restore my Programs on my computer.  I just thought, I have not checked to see if the net firewall service is on under the lan connections so I will check that first.  I don't think it is but who knows.....

Any thoughts are appreciated.
Thx,
Chuck

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2007, 05:37:02 PM »
I have been trying for days to connect to an apple server to update apples QuickTime and not once has it connected to the server, just keeps throwing up the error you are probably getting but the one I get also mentions the server might be busy (probably).

Though I would have though the itunes servers would be more readily available so I don't know if something similar is happening.

I finally gave up and QuickTime is no longer on my system, history.

You could try 'Terminating' not pausing, the Web Shield and Network Shield (answer No about persist changes) as they are the only avast interface with the web and try again. I doubt it will change anything.

Unfortunately I don't use a router so I can't be of any practical help there.

The D-Link router migh well provide a hardware firewall but that probably no outbound protection for that you will ned a software firewall, something to think about for later.

Any malware that manages to get past your defences will have free reign to connect to the internet to either download more of the same, pass your personal data (sensitive or otherwise, user names, passwords, keylogger retrieved data, etc.) or open a backdoor to your computer, so outbound protection is essential.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD - 27" external monitor 1440p 2560x1440 resolution - avast! free  24.9.6130 (build 24.9.9452.762) UI 1.0.818/ Firefox, uBlock Origin Lite, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security