Author Topic: Myspace virus attack, help  (Read 4147 times)

sanctuary24

Myspace virus attack, help
« on: December 05, 2007, 09:11:37 PM »
My brother was searching Cristiano Ronaldos myspace page (cant find the exact address) and Avast alerted him to these two malwares

MS06-001 exploit

JS:Agent-T

I googled them but couldnt find any specific info regarding their infection methods, if someone could provide a link to info on them that would great, also if someone can find the myspace page above and run it through some kind of analyzing program (ie dr web) I would be grateful

ps dr web doesnt work for me it says server too busy and something else

the reason I ask for help is that you can never be sure if a piece of Malware that hasnt got a definition for it sneaks into your system (if something did get through would it trigger my firewall when sending data out?)

also one of them was picked up by the standard shield with temporary internet files, has it managed to plnt something on my hard drive as it seems to have bypassed the web shield and put a file in my system (it was caught but just wondering how it could have let it get to my hard drive, this is the JS:Agent-T malware)
« Last Edit: December 05, 2007, 11:41:51 PM by sanctuary24 »

Offline Maxx_original

• Super Poster
Re: Myspace virus attack, help
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2007, 10:01:18 AM »
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS06-001.mspx

JS:Agent-T is some kind of JavaScript virus... these viruses should do no harm on a well updated computer (MS hotfixes installed)..

sanctuary24

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2007, 03:32:19 PM »
why was one of them stopped by webshield while the other only got detected by standard shield?

Also when a virus is detected (ie in your temp internet folder) does it stop the virus before it activates (ie as its being downloaded and scanned) or does Avast prevent the virus activating while the scan is in progress?

Is Avast designed to detect traces of a virus even without the main file present?
« Last Edit: December 06, 2007, 03:34:03 PM by sanctuary24 »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2007, 08:50:59 PM »
why was one of them stopped by webshield while the other only got detected by standard shield?
Isn't it because the default archive scanning of both providers are different?

Also when a virus is detected (ie in your temp internet folder) does it stop the virus before it activates (ie as its being downloaded and scanned) or does Avast prevent the virus activating while the scan is in progress?
It prevent the virus to active after "something" is scanned and detected. But as far I know, avast WebShield will block the download while it is occurring and being scanned, before the file is saved to disk.

Is Avast designed to detect traces of a virus even without the main file present?
If the 'traces' are infected, they will be detected by the signatures.
The best things in life are free.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2007, 08:59:28 PM »
Also, you can take a look here:
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=31825.msg265811#msg265811
The best things in life are free.

sanctuary24

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2007, 09:36:49 PM »
I know your not with the Alwil team (if you are sorry, no offence meant) but have you any idea as to what percentage of malware is detected by Avast out of the malware today, its just that someone said it was around 87.46%, are they improving on this percentage to make it detect more malware when compared to Avira for example?

thanks Tech for your explanations, hopefully I wont encounter anymore nasties