Author Topic: Truncated error message - how to read?  (Read 4877 times)

plankwalker

Truncated error message - how to read?
« on: December 02, 2007, 11:56:08 PM »
When I open avast via the desktop icon, the splash screen appears, then an avast error message box: "An attempt was made to load a program with an".... then below, "program cannot set property into main storage".  There is a link to a FAQ site for more info, but it takes me to a page which talks about a different error message, and says the answer does not apply to v4.7 anyway, which is what I have.  I can not find any way to read the rest of the message.  There is nothing to do but hit the OK button, which closes the box.

I sent a screen shot to avast support asking how to read the message.  I got a prompt reply saying the best way to solve the problem was to remove and reinstall avast.  That is well and good, but I am still curious what the problem is.  Does anyone know a way to read the entire message?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Truncated error message - how to read?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2007, 12:19:31 AM »
Check the avast! Log Viewer (right click the avast 'a' icon), Error section, this contains information on all avast detections. Or open the Error.log file with notepad. C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\DATA\log\Error.log.

Why are you using the desktop icon to open avast, what is it you are trying to do ?
Right click on the avast ' a ' and select Start avast! Antivirus, that does a memory scan and opens the Simple User Interface so you can do an on-demand scan, etc.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD - 27" external monitor 1440p 2560x1440 resolution - avast! free  24.9.6130 (build 24.9.9452.762) UI 1.0.818/ Firefox, uBlock Origin Lite, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

plankwalker

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2007, 03:32:31 AM »
Thank you for the info.  The error log file contains a bazillion entries, all ending with "error description: database disk image is malformed [11]".  I find nothing close to the error description I saw in the error box.  This is obviously beyond my poor ability to understand, I will just reinstall avast as they suggest.  As to why I was opening avast, it was just to start an on-demand scan.  When I open it the way you suggest, the result is the same.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2007, 03:51:18 AM »
If the Error log gets too large, I would say a bazillion is probably large even if a slight exageration ;D

You could try a repair of avast first, less hassle if it works. Add Remove programs, select 'avast! Anti-Virus,' click the Change/Remove button and scroll down to Repair, click next and follow.

For the future, you can open the avast log viewer click on the Error section/tab/icon on the menu, File, Delete current log. This will empty the contents, this can be done for each of the different sections if they get too large.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD - 27" external monitor 1440p 2560x1440 resolution - avast! free  24.9.6130 (build 24.9.9452.762) UI 1.0.818/ Firefox, uBlock Origin Lite, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2007, 02:02:03 PM »
- Which OS are you using? Is it up to date?
- Do you use a firewall? Which one?
- Do you have any other antivirus installed in your system? Did you have in the past?
- Any other security programs that could interfere?
- Any useful information into Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Events, specially 'Errors'.
The best things in life are free.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2007, 02:06:45 PM »
You many try to simply delete the file C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\DATA\avast4.db and restart the machine. That should resolve the issue, but you may loose some custom settings in avast (if there are any)

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

plankwalker

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2007, 05:41:42 AM »
I tried the repair option, I'm afraid it didn't work.  It said it was successful, but nothing changed.

I have Win98SE, I think it's as up to date as it can be at this point.
No firewall, and I have never had any AV except avast.
I have Spybot and Ad-Aware SE personal.
I'm afraid I didn't understand the part about the Control Panel.

I tried to delete the avast4.db file and could not do it - access denied. (even with the providers terminated.)  How do I delete it?

Something I did has somehow caused 2 new error message boxes to appear now when I try to open the faceplate for a scan:
1. "The process cannot access the file because storage cannot be created for the splash task."
2. "The process cannot access the file because configuration is not loaded properly. Error: dbsCreateObject"

The original error message no longer appears.  Things are beginning to be very erratic, with long delays before things open or close.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2007, 02:50:00 PM »
Although you say you can't delete the avast4.db fie the new error messages would appear to be related to the first error and probably the avast4.db file. Because of the two new errors I don't think that it is getting that far.

There is a new avast version 4.7.1098, whilst you don't say exactly what version you have (just 4.7) I would suggest that you download the latest version and reinstall. Download the latest version of avast http://www.avast.com/eng/download-avast-home.html and save it to your HDD, somewhere you can find it again. Use that when you reinstall.

Now, uninstall, reboot, install latest version, reboot.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2007, 06:40:55 PM »
I'm afraid I didn't understand the part about the Control Panel.
Sorry. It does not apply to Windows 98.

I tried to delete the avast4.db file and could not do it - access denied. (even with the providers terminated.)  How do I delete it?
1. Stop all the providers.
2. Try using Unlocker (http://ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker/) or KillBox (http://www.softpedia.com/get/Security/Secure-cleaning/Pocket-Killbox.shtml).
The best things in life are free.

plankwalker

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2007, 10:45:53 PM »
With a new version now available, it's time to just reinstall, though it takes time with my dial-up connection.  But I'll wait a few days, as there are ice storms here with risk of power outage at any time.

Thanks to all of you for the advice.  By the way, the original error message is now back.  I guess I'll never know what it says.