Author Topic: HOW TO TELL WHETHER MY PC IS INFECTED(3 VIRUSES, one even twice so far)!  (Read 2829 times)

angie20

My problem is the following:

several weeks ago Avast detected the following:

Sign of "MS04-028 JPEG [Expl]" has been found in "C:\Users\user\Pictures\~lack02.tmp" file.  :-\
It was the first time I had to deal with a virus, plus, I haven't read anything from this forum, so I moved the file(a picture I had taken from a fansite), into the Chest and then deleted it.

10 days ago, another threat:

Sign of "JS:Feebs family" has been found in "C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Low\Content.IE5\HWD1K1D9\index_xxl[1].htm" file. (it said it was virus/worm)

And one more at the same time:

Sign of "CVE-2007-0038" has been found in "C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Low\Content.IE5\HWS9ZU8Q\188[1].ani" file.

I think I made a mistake because when the alert screen showed, I didn't do anything, so NOW I REALLY DO NOT KNOW whether the virus is still in my PC! I don't know what Avast does when I don't tell it to do anything, does it clean the infected files automatically? If not, I'm in trouble. :-\

My computer's software is Vista Basic Home, I have a Firewall, Windows Defender that are working properly, I get updates from Avast every day.

After the incidents I scanned my PC with different AV tools, Avast scan also says that it's clean.

Yesterday however, there was something VERY STRANGE happening in my Windows Photo Gallery. When I opened it, there was one infected picture:

Sign of "MS04-028 JPEG [Expl]" has been found in "C:\Users\user\Pictures\~AAAAAAAAAAAAA.tmp file.

I quickly dealt with it BUT then I looked at my Tags and THERE WERE TAGS THAT I'D NEVER ADDED! Some examples: 'competition', 'racing', etc. There were at least 30 of them. That SHOULD MEAN THAT SOME MALWARE HAS ENTERED IN MY PC, right?

Again, scans show that it's clean but I know that viruses can hide so well...

I've been reading a lot about viruses and especially about those that I had, but now I'M CONFUSED AND DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO  ???

PLEASE, HELP!!!

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: HOW TO TELL WHETHER MY PC IS INFECTED(3 VIRUSES, one even twice so far)!
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2007, 06:25:38 PM »
After the incidents I scanned my PC with different AV tools, Avast scan also says that it's clean.
Again, scans show that it's clean but I know that viruses can hide so well...
If you want to be sure you're clean, I suggest:

1. Disable System Restore and reenable it after step 3.
2. Clean your temporary files.
3. Schedule a boot time scanning with avast with archive scanning turned on.
4. Use AVG Antispyware; SUPERantispyware and/or Spyware Terminator to scan for spywares and trojans. If any infection is detected, better and safer is send the file to Quarantine than to simple delete than.
5. Test your machine with anti-rootkit applications. I suggest AVG or Trend Micro RootkitBuster.
6. Make a HijackThis log to post here or, better, submit the RunScanner log to to on-line analysis.
7. Immunize your system with SpywareBlaster or Windows Advanced Care.
8. Check if you have insecure applications with Secunia Software Inspector.
The best things in life are free.