Author Topic: INF:Autorun-G [Trj] Trojan Horse Virus  (Read 1992 times)

fishblob

INF:Autorun-G [Trj] Trojan Horse Virus
« on: December 31, 2007, 09:36:16 AM »
Hi all. My thumb drive was infected with this virus and I plugged it into my computer and it became infected. In the end I formatted the thumb drive, but the virus was still inside. Also, I formatted the computer and it's now virus-free.

This time round, I plugged the infected thumb drive into my laptop. But before I plugged it in, I pressed shift to prevent auto-run. So a window popped up asking me what action do I want to take and, I saw this 'program' or some sort named 'Auto run' in the pop-up window. I closed it, and scanned the thumb drive with Avast! which detected the virus. I moved it into the virus chest.

Then I removed the thumb drive and plugged it in again, without pressing shift this time. But it sort of hanged so I just plugged it out and reinserted it, pressing shift.

The window asking me what to do popped up again. I scanned the thumb drive and found that there was still a file inside. I'm not sure if that file is associated with the virus. So I reformatted the drive.

What I'm worried about now is whether my laptop is still infected. Because the 2nd time I inserted the thumb drive, I didn't press shift. So it kind of auto ran? However, I've ran 3 thorough tests but no threats were detected. Please advise. Thanks.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: INF:Autorun-G [Trj] Trojan Horse Virus
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2007, 03:46:28 PM »
Take a second opinion from AVG Antispyware; SUPERantispyware and/or Spyware Terminator to scan for spywares and trojans. If any infection is detected, better and safer is send the file to Quarantine than to simple delete than.

It will be good too, if you test your machine with anti-rootkit applications. I suggest AVG or Trend Micro RootkitBuster.
The best things in life are free.