Author Topic: New to Avast  (Read 2304 times)

Snowowl

New to Avast
« on: January 02, 2008, 11:11:46 PM »
Hi everyone,
I downloaded Avast today and thought after awhile it would be a good idea to scan my system. Til today I used an other Antivirus programm which was updated automatically every day.
Now with my scan with Avast after a few minutes a Trojan was found on my system. Before long it was one infected file after the other found. First I clicked on: Move into the chest but after awhile I recognized its all the same file so I clicked on: Delete all. After awhile I got worried because I thought he is not asking me anything anymore... So I clicked on hold and discovered that 192 infected files were found on my system. I stopped it altogether ... So now my question is: If I start it over again will he still just delete without asking me or will he ask me again if I want it to be moved into the Chest? I am just afraid he is deleting things from my system which I really need.
My question is also how can so many infected files go missing to the other scanner?
I am sorry if some of my sentences might sound weird but my native language is not english.
Thanks a lot for your help
SnowOwl
« Last Edit: January 02, 2008, 11:22:52 PM by Snowowl »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: New to Avast
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2008, 11:26:39 PM »
So now my question is: If I start it over again will he still just delete without asking me or will he ask me again if I want it to be moved into the Chest?
That answer (command) was used just for that scanning. In Home (free) version, you need to answer each time you scan.
I am just afraid he is deleting things from my system which I really need.
Please, send files to Chest is safer than directly deleting them. Don't delete directly.
Can you post, at least, the principal files and path of the infected files?

My question is also how can so many infected files go missing to the other scanner?
None if the virus is not replicant. But, generally, you need further procedures to get clean.
I suggest:

1. Disable System Restore and reenable it after step 3.
2. Clean your temporary files.
3. Schedule a boot time scanning with avast with archive scanning turned on.
4. Use AVG Antispyware; SUPERantispyware and/or Spyware Terminator to scan for spywares and trojans. If any infection is detected, better and safer is send the file to Quarantine than to simple delete than.
5. Test your machine with anti-rootkit applications. I suggest AVG or Trend Micro RootkitBuster.
6. Make a HijackThis log to post here or, better, submit the RunScanner log to to on-line analysis.
7. Immunize your system with SpywareBlaster or Windows Advanced Care.
8. Check if you have insecure applications with Secunia Software Inspector.

I am sorry if some of my sentences might sound weird but my native language is not english.
We can understand you and your English is pretty good ;)
The best things in life are free.