Author Topic: HELP PLZ:can't scan installer archive is corrupted & password protected  (Read 2477 times)

calidescope

Hi, I am new to avast. I have run an antivirus scan and have gotten the following results and i dont know what they mean or what i need to do about them.

Unable to scan: Installer archive corrupted

Unable to scan: password protected. - most of the files it lists with this are temp and others i have no clue what they are. I also have no clue as to how any of them would be password protected as i nor my daughter(whose laptop I am running avast on) have put any passwords on(that we are aware of )

I would grately appreciate any help on this matter, as i would like to resolve this asap..she wants her computer back yesterday..teenagers LOL :)

Offline oldman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Some days..... MOS...this bug's for you
Re: HELP PLZ:can't scan installer archive is corrupted & password protected
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2008, 10:06:32 AM »
The most common reason avast reports an archive as corrupted is because it can't unpack (open) it. Nothing to worry about.

The passworded protected probably belong to an antispyware program, whose quarintined files and data base are incripted. Avast would have no way of knowing the "password".

In the image below are the results of a scan, you can just make out  the file name on the password protected one. (it's superantispyware). This was taken in the pro version, so the logging is a bit different. Check your results log and I'm sure you will find it's an antispyware quarintined file.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: HELP PLZ:can't scan installer archive is corrupted & password protected
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2008, 03:41:23 PM »
As oldman said, don't worry, both archive unpacker problems and password protected files won't hurt your computer. You can disable the reporting of these errors on avast Report settings.
Welcome 8)
The best things in life are free.