Author Topic: Suspected malicious use of aswhook.dll by malware  (Read 1933 times)

Offline DP07

Suspected malicious use of aswhook.dll by malware
« on: July 07, 2023, 10:44:15 AM »
I was analysing a suspected malware through procmon and I noted that it loaded aswhook.dll into image. From what I understand, aswhook.dll is used by Avast to provide powerful hooking functions for the Avast software to provide Avast with valuable information on the user's device so that it can detect malware

Is it possible for a malware to load aswhook.dll and use its functions for itself to hook the user's device and fish for information?

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Offline DP07

Re: Suspected malicious use of aswhook.dll by malware
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2023, 01:30:57 PM »
Hi Polonus,

I don't think that provides a very clear idea of what I am looking for. I know that aswhook.dll is a file by Avast and when used by Avast, it is not malware even though it provides Avast with powerful functions.

However, my query relates to the situation where an entity other than Avast that may use the .dll file. In that case, I would like to ask if it is possible for a malware to make use of such functions by Avast.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Suspected malicious use of aswhook.dll by malware
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2023, 06:55:16 PM »
Avast's files, locations, settings, etc. should all fall under the Avast Self Defence Module.

So I feel that would include misuse, of said files by an outside source.

That is my belief as an Avast User, not Avast Team member.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD - 27" external monitor 1440p 2560x1440 resolution - avast! free  24.9.6130 (build 24.9.9452.762) UI 1.0.818/ Firefox, uBlock Origin Lite, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security