Author Topic: Automatic update..  (Read 1912 times)

Offline Joppe

Automatic update..
« on: July 25, 2023, 04:05:15 PM »
Hi :)

What could be the reason that the program does not update by itself when the settings are set to 'Automatic update'?

Regard
Joppe

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Automatic update..
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2023, 05:50:31 PM »
What Avast antivirus program version do you have at the moment  ?

With hundreds of millions of users updates are done over a period of time to ensure there isn't any server overload. 
You can circumvent the wait by doing a manual program update if you know there is one available.

Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD - 27" external monitor 1440p 2560x1440 resolution - avast! free  24.9.6130 (build 24.9.9452.762) UI 1.0.818/ Firefox, uBlock Origin Lite, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Joppe

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2023, 01:00:30 PM »
Hi :)

Sorry for the late reply.  ::)

But my program version is: 23.7.6074 (build 23.7.8348.762)
and interface version is: 1.0.771

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2023, 01:23:03 PM »
You have the latest version on the regular release channel (same as the one in my signature below posts).

Are you saying that you had to manually update ?

As I said "The Program updates are spread over a period of time to prevent servers being overloaded", you may just have been experiencing that. 

The July release was only notified recently in the forums https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=324422.0
I just did a manual program update check and it confirms I have the latest release.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD - 27" external monitor 1440p 2560x1440 resolution - avast! free  24.9.6130 (build 24.9.9452.762) UI 1.0.818/ Firefox, uBlock Origin Lite, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Joppe

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2023, 01:42:18 PM »
Yes I manually update

I have Premium Security
Settings are like this on the picture
« Last Edit: August 03, 2023, 02:28:37 PM by Joppe »

Offline MrDJ

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2023, 04:10:16 PM »
exact same happens to me.but in a way im glad as i can check first. 
i just check on a regular basis and if i see a new waiting update i check the forum first to see if there has been any issues with it before i update it. and yes, like you i have auto update ticked and im using the paid version.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2023, 07:53:49 PM by MrDJ »
Clevo P502 Laptop i7 3720QM 2.60GHz, 16gb ram, Nvidia GTX 680M, Crucial 512 SSD, Windows 10 Pro 64bit, over 12 years old and still super fast.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2023, 05:59:57 PM »
Yes I manually update

I have Premium Security
Settings are like this on the picture

That is strange.
I don't know if this might be different for the non-English versions of Avast, but that really shouldn't the case.

I would have thought that the Paid versions of Avast would have priority and wouldn't have the same delay as Avast Free.

Are you using a different firewall to that in Avast Premium  ?
Or are you using a VPN  ?

Offline Joppe

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2023, 09:44:27 PM »
I don't use a firewall other than the one Avast has and don't use VPN. :)
I'm also using the paid version.

The developers have to find out and fix that.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2023, 10:03:31 PM »
I have tried to attract some Avast attention to this topic.

Offline jan.svoboda

• Avast team
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2023, 03:26:04 PM »
Hi, I am not sure if there is anything to be fixed. Simply when the program update is set to "Automatic update" it will update aumatically. But that does not mean that you will receive the update in the same time as we announce the new version release. Usually the new release is being rolled out slowly - it means that the migration of userbase starts slow and then when there are no issues we will speed it up. There is no rule that in the end of the month whole userbase is on the latest version or something like that (but we are tryint to achiev that). And it is random when you receive the update during the month.

Of course when you update manually you will always receive the latest version available.

Hope that this answers your questions.

Jan

Offline MrDJ

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2023, 04:07:55 PM »
Hi, I am not sure if there is anything to be fixed. Simply when the program update is set to "Automatic update" it will update aumatically. But that does not mean that you will receive the update in the same time as we announce the new version release. Usually the new release is being rolled out slowly - it means that the migration of userbase starts slow and then when there are no issues we will speed it up. There is no rule that in the end of the month whole userbase is on the latest version or something like that (but we are tryint to achiev that). And it is random when you receive the update during the month.

Of course when you update manually you will always receive the latest version available.

Jan
Hi Jan
Thanks for that info.

for me anyway (not sure its the same for the original poster)
i saw the new version post on the forum. i checked my ui and it was in red waiting to be updated but i held off for a few days.
but and this is what i believe the other poster meant, my update is set to automatic so once my ui picks up the staggered roll out shouldnt it update automatically without me checking and having to click on the button to update.

just to add, i am using a vpn which is nord and only the avast firewall.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2023, 04:10:47 PM by MrDJ »
Clevo P502 Laptop i7 3720QM 2.60GHz, 16gb ram, Nvidia GTX 680M, Crucial 512 SSD, Windows 10 Pro 64bit, over 12 years old and still super fast.

Offline jan.svoboda

• Avast team
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2023, 08:06:39 AM »

Jan
Hi Jan
Thanks for that info.

for me anyway (not sure its the same for the original poster)
i saw the new version post on the forum. i checked my ui and it was in red waiting to be updated but i held off for a few days.
but and this is what i believe the other poster meant, my update is set to automatic so once my ui picks up the staggered roll out shouldnt it update automatically without me checking and having to click on the button to update.

just to add, i am using a vpn which is nord and only the avast firewall.

Hi MrDJ, this should not be a problem. The application checks for the new update regularly and will let you know once there is a new version. In case you want to update manually to this new version you can do it. But in the same time, there is the slow migration so the app knows there is new version but was not selected to be updated automatically yet. And that is correct behavior. Maybe could you please try next time wait and do not update manually in such situation? You should see that the AV was updated automatically in the end. Or if you could please send us support package with logs so we can check it there. Then we can confirm to you that this was exactly the case. https://support.avast.com/en-us/article/submit-support-file/#pc

Thanks a lot.

Offline MrDJ

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2023, 11:32:06 AM »
Thank you for the reply Jan.
next time i see an update waiting in red i will leave it and see if it updates at a later stage.
i think this last update was sitting there for 3 days in red even though auto update was ticked.
if after 4-5 days it doesnt update ill send a support ticket with the logs.
Thanks