Author Topic: I don't know what to do  (Read 808 times)

Offline lobor768

I don't know what to do
« on: July 31, 2023, 09:31:44 PM »
Recently, I have experienced several strange events related to the security of my online accounts. Someone accessed my Instagram account and started following many unknown people, and subsequently tried to change my Steam password from India. This prompted me to take immediate action, such as adding more security to my accounts and changing all passwords.

Also, while checking my mail on the computer, my Google account was closed due to an alleged malicious app. Following Google's directions, I used the offline exam and changed my password to resolve the problem.

This situation left me anxious and concerned about the security of my data on my computer and cell phone. I decided to invest in a reliable security solution to prevent future incidents. I am considering purchasing an Avast product, and I would like to know which would be the best choice for me. Is Avast Premium Security the best choice, or is there another product better suited to ensure my online protection? I appreciate any advice or recommendations you can give me - thank you!

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: I don't know what to do
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2023, 01:55:34 AM »
Recently, I have experienced several strange events related to the security of my online accounts. Someone accessed my Instagram account and started following many unknown people, and subsequently tried to change my Steam password from India. This prompted me to take immediate action, such as adding more security to my accounts and changing all passwords.

Also, while checking my mail on the computer, my Google account was closed due to an alleged malicious app. Following Google's directions, I used the offline exam and changed my password to resolve the problem.

This situation left me anxious and concerned about the security of my data on my computer and cell phone. I decided to invest in a reliable security solution to prevent future incidents. I am considering purchasing an Avast product, and I would like to know which would be the best choice for me. Is Avast Premium Security the best choice, or is there another product better suited to ensure my online protection? I appreciate any advice or recommendations you can give me - thank you!

Are you actually using an antivirus at present  ?

I have been using Avast Antivirus Free for over 20 years without any real issues.  But my internet activity is done with security in mind, I'm careful in what sites I visit, I don't just click unknown links or open unknown emails, etc.  Some people are very trusting or don't think before opening unknown links/emails, etc. that puts you at more risk, but you have a fall back in a good antivirus program.

Avast Premium is a Paid product and has more components, many of which I don't feel I need or have that covered in my general practice and apps etc.

This really is a personal choice and you need to look at what is included in Avast Free and Avast Premium to see what you really need.

See https://support.avast.com/en-gb/article/antivirus-faq/#pc

There is also the Avast one range of products (Avast One Free and Avast One Premium), for me the Avast One has more components than Avast Antivirus range of products, but has less configurability.  For me this configurability is more than the additions components, many of which I probably wouldn't install, But in Avast One I don't know if that too isn't configurable. 

https://support.avast.com/en-gb/article/one-faq/
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD - 27" external monitor 1440p 2560x1440 resolution - avast! free  24.9.6130 (build 24.9.9452.762) UI 1.0.818/ Firefox, uBlock Origin Lite, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline lobor768

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2023, 02:48:02 AM »
It could have been because I downloaded something I shouldn't have or because of some page but I don't know what the exact origin was so I don't really know what to do; I have been using Avast Antivirus Free since I got this computer, but when I went through these events recently I felt that I should upgrade or buy some avast product to help me with this problem.
Still thanks for passing these links on to me, I will see which one helps me and maybe I can use this product with my family.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2023, 10:44:23 AM »
You're welcome.

It is possible that someone/thing has harvested your Email address and or details of your Instagram account, there are many social media scams/scammers out there, just hoping that you respond to a scam to get your details.  It is also possible that the have got someone else's details/account and use that to scam other users in their social group.

I have never got into social networking I'm very wary in this regard.  But any contact that I receive I treat with caution.  Any email that I get (POP3) is also for the most part downloaded to my system is filtered through an email spam scanner first to filter out spam (some of which will also be potential scams) before I download the remainder.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD - 27" external monitor 1440p 2560x1440 resolution - avast! free  24.9.6130 (build 24.9.9452.762) UI 1.0.818/ Firefox, uBlock Origin Lite, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security