Author Topic: Avast blocking sensor access to Alienware effecting clocking and cooling.  (Read 1064 times)

Offline ShawnDaGeek

As the title suggests i am just having issues recently with the free version of Avast blocking access to sensors on my Alienware machine, causing Alienware Command center not be able to properly read and control clocking and cooling. 

I am hoping to find a work around for this since the free version of Avast does not allow interface access to the sensor blocking settings. 

How do i allow alienware command center to access the alienware sensors so it can auto adjust clock and cooling?
« Last Edit: August 10, 2023, 06:25:28 PM by ShawnDaGeek »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
How is it blocking, e.g is it Alerting (attaching a screenshot might help) and or you are getting an error message  ?

Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD - 27" external monitor 1440p 2560x1440 resolution - avast! free  24.9.6130 (build 24.9.9452.762) UI 1.0.818/ Firefox, uBlock Origin Lite, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline ShawnDaGeek

How is it blocking, e.g is it Alerting (attaching a screenshot might help) and or you are getting an error message  ?
Sorry, included screenshot is the ACC, as you can see the frequency and temp to processor is blocked.

In the premium version of Avast i had to uncheck sensor blocking to allow this, but i downgraded to free version and i can not longer change that setting.

What is happening is a silent block of the 2 sensors, and Dell sent me here to get help. Sorry i wish i knew more.  (uninstalled, repaired, reinstalled everything, updated... ... ...

I have added ACC to the general behaviour shield exceptions though and launched as admin all that.  Just hoping someone can point me in the right direction.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2023, 07:11:44 PM by ShawnDaGeek »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Where (what shield) did you unblock the alienware sensor monitoring  ?

I don't know how this (application) monitors CPU/GPU/Memory Clock.  So it is hard to determine what shield might be checking/blocking access.
On this puny laptop I have no need to monitor this activity, so no practical experience of how this is achieved.  Or how Avast might interact with it.

I too have Avast Free, but I don't install all of the shields, the Behaviour Shield as you mention might be a possibility. 

You mention you set an exception "ACC to the general behaviour shield exceptions" I don't know where you found this as far as I'm aware there is no specific exceptions for the Behaviour Shield, n the UI Menu > Settings > General > Exceptions.

In the UI Menu > Settings > Protection > Core Shields >  Exceptions > Behaviour Shield - the only options are
Enable the Behaviour Shield and Generate Report File.

That said the wording in that area states - Warns you if any application behaves suspiciously - and that doesn't appear to be happening.
Enabling the Generate Report File (if not on by default) would possibly give a clue if it is carrying out any actions.
in the See attached screenshot.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD - 27" external monitor 1440p 2560x1440 resolution - avast! free  24.9.6130 (build 24.9.9452.762) UI 1.0.818/ Firefox, uBlock Origin Lite, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline ShawnDaGeek

Where (what shield) did you unblock the alienware sensor monitoring  ?

Thanks for attempting to help, asking because for months noth8ing is showing in the logs for avast.  Seems upgrading or unintalling is the only way i can get it working proper, only really need to have this kind of control when i am compiling or cooking for work as the pc starts hitting 200f+ since it does not properly throttle voltage or call out to fans.  due to not being able to poll those sensors.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
You're welcome.
I'm sorry it wasn't productive.