Author Topic: Runtime Error when attempting to generate VRDB  (Read 2758 times)

nezumi

Runtime Error when attempting to generate VRDB
« on: January 12, 2008, 12:41:00 AM »
After using Avast since 2005, I suddenly have a problem.  I run a 2.40 GHz P4 whitebox with Windows XP Home Edition SP2, using Avast version 4.7.1098.  I had the VRDB set to generate when the screensaver is running; up till today I had no problem with this. Today I got this message when my screensaver started up:
Runtime Error
Alwil Software/Avast4/ashServe.exe
abnormal program termination

and then the On-Access Scanner shut down. Had to reboot to get it to restart.

I tried switching to "generate VRDB when computer is idle", with the same results.  For now I have it set to disable generation of the VRDB, but of course I'd rather not keep it that way.

Any info on what might be wrong, or suggestions for a fix?

Mouse

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Runtime Error when attempting to generate VRDB
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2008, 12:48:31 AM »
Can you try to repair your installation?
Go to Control Panel > Add/Remove programs > avast! antivirus > Remove. Then choose Repair function in the popup window (Repair).
If this does not help, can you uninstall / boot / install / boot again?

Wow... avast since 2005 and only now you've got a problem... ;)
The best things in life are free.

nezumi

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2008, 07:13:35 AM »
Tried the Repair function and that just made things worse -- the system locked up and I had to hit the off switch to get it to shut down.  Turned it back on and booted into Safe Mode, turned off System Restore, uninstalled Avast & ran CCleaner to fix any registry issues.  Booted back up and everything else loaded normally, so I did a new install of Avast and rebooted again, updated the VPS & turned System Restore back on.  So far, everything seems to work; set the VRDB Generator to work when the computer is idle, then sat back and did nothing for a bit.  VRDB Gen ran just fine with no error message.  Not sure what exactly caused it in the first place; my brother the Mac addict would be making cracks about Windows right now. ::) Seems to be good now, though (I'll be back if it does it again). Thanks mucho for your help!
Mouse

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2008, 11:57:28 AM »
uninstalled Avast & ran CCleaner to fix any registry issues.
CCleaner is innocuous about some uninstalled products. It's a very weak registry cleaner.
You should use Avast Uninstall for complete uninstallation.

Not sure what exactly caused it in the first place
Neither do I... but we hate mysteries...
The best things in life are free.