Author Topic: Avast stopped updating  (Read 3797 times)

iamaya2

Avast stopped updating
« on: January 15, 2008, 03:24:53 AM »
Hi everybody....

I've got a problem with my avast home edition...

From a time on, the software just stopped updating.. I mean, I have a LAN connection so I'm always on internet... However there is a message telling me that avast didn't detect any connection and didn't update. Yesterday a new message appeared telling me that the virus databases were too old, so I entered the web site and manually downloaded the vps update. However, when I try to install it, a message appears with an error code. The error code and all the info appears in the attachment...

Plz I really need help because I think that I may have a trojan or something that messed up my notebook...

Regards..

Ivan

PD: I was thinking on reinstalling the software but I'm afraid to have an even older database....

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
Re: Avast stopped updating
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2008, 04:16:59 AM »
First off, what symptoms cause you to think you may have a trojan? Messed with your notebook, how? Anything else misbehaving?
Second, try a repair. In "add/remove programs" in the control panel, click on the entry for Avast, select "change/remove" and the bottom entry is "repair".
Takes a minute. Then try updating.
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

iamaya2

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2008, 04:40:20 AM »
First off, what symptoms cause you to think you may have a trojan? Messed with your notebook, how? Anything else misbehaving?
Second, try a repair. In "add/remove programs" in the control panel, click on the entry for Avast, select "change/remove" and the bottom entry is "repair".
Takes a minute. Then try updating.

I tried to repair but appeared this message...

Regarding the symptoms... well, that my notebook and avast were working perfectly and avast suddenly stopped updating... And some of the services required for automatic updates keep getting disabled...

Hope this info works...

Thx

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2008, 11:23:56 AM »
I've had this same error, quite a while ago. My (somewhat vaguely) remembered experience, plus a Google search lead me to think you should try a reinstall.
Firstly I should point out I am not a guru, and am posting this because a guru has not replied here yet.
If a guru should happen to see this and disagree with my suggestions, please jump in.
Do you have the original installation file? If not download it afresh from http://www.avast.com/eng/download-avast-home.html , you'll need it later.
Download the uninstall utility from http://www.avast.com/eng/avast-uninstall-utility.html , you'll need that sooner.
It might be worthwhile downloading a good antispyware application, just in case it is malware that has caused the corruption in the Avast and notebook files. (I don't know if it is or not, but it seems possible.) I recommend http://www.superantispyware.com/download.html .
If you choose to do that, install Superantispyware (other good ones include AVG Antispyware, Asquared, or SpywareTerminator), update it (or one of the others, whatever you choose), update it, and run a full scan. Quarantine anything found. Do not delete- always quarantine, or ignore if known to be a FP.
Disconnect from the internet. Attempt to uninstall Avast from add/remove programs. Chances are you will get the same error message.(If you don't get that message, and it uninstalls cleanly, run the uninstall utility afterwards, anyway.) If so, run the uninstall utility. Reboot when prompted, and follow any other directions it should pop up at you. Reboot at least once following the removal.
Install the fresh download of Avast, and then reconnect to the net. Have it check for updates straight away.
Sorry if this is a bit unclear to follow, feeling a bit tired right now and trying to not stuff up. You might need to read it a couple of times to get the salient points clear.
Let us know how you get on.
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2008, 01:08:37 PM »
Some of the services required for automatic updates keep getting disabled...
Do you have any other antivirus in this computer?
Had in the past?
What happens if you repair your avast installation? Does it work?
The best things in life are free.

iamaya2

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2008, 02:47:55 PM »
Some of the services required for automatic updates keep getting disabled...
Do you have any other antivirus in this computer?
Had in the past?
What happens if you repair your avast installation? Does it work?

I don't have any other antivirus... However, a long time ago I had norton (It came with my notebook) but I switched to avast and had no problem...

As I stated before, If I try to repair there's an error message...

Forejt

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2008, 04:24:57 PM »
This message means that setup.ovr file is missing in avast4\setup folder.
Download this file:
http://public.avast.com/~forejt/av_pro-1043/setup.zip
Extract setup.ovr to avast4\setup folder, then updates should work again.

iamaya2

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2008, 05:50:17 PM »
This message means that setup.ovr file is missing in avast4\setup folder.
Download this file:
http://public.avast.com/~forejt/av_pro-1043/setup.zip
Extract setup.ovr to avast4\setup folder, then updates should work again.

Thx it worked perfectly... now my updates are working once more...

Regards