Author Topic: Avast is blocking my website  (Read 5924 times)

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
Re: Avast is blocking my website
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2024, 04:59:16 PM »
Cloaking detected on webpage: scripts and stylesheets loaded only for user agents: The cdn-cgi/apps/head/yeIDrhaKCesd6qFvaXC9ry202dE.js script and other scripts and stylesheets are loaded only for the Chrome user agent but not for other user agents like Googlebot. This could be a sign of cloaking.
Different content served to search engines: The page contains multiple links with different parameters (sid=28ce4a978d5d0754eda8494af4d3005a) that are not present in the HTML served to Chrome. This could be an attempt to hide or alter content from search engines.
Hidden content: Some elements on the page, such as the <div class="responsive-show" style="display: none;"> containers, are hidden from view using CSS. This could be a way to hide content from search engines.
Dynamic content generation: The page appears to generate content dynamically using JavaScript, which can make it difficult for search engines to crawl and index the content accurately.

pol
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2024, 05:44:48 PM »
When cloaking is found to exist on a particular website, it can pose several security risks:

Phishing and malware attacks: Cloaking can be used to hide malicious content, such as phishing pages or malware downloads, making it difficult for users to detect and avoid these threats.
Data breaches: By concealing sensitive information, cloaking can facilitate data breaches by allowing attackers to steal user credentials, financial information, or other sensitive data.
SEO poisoning: Cloaking can also be used to manipulate search engine rankings by hiding content that is irrelevant or even malicious, which can compromise the integrity of search results.
Reputation damage: If a website is found to be using cloaking techniques, it can damage its reputation and erode trust among users and search engines.
Legal consequences: Depending on the severity of the cloaking, website owners may face legal consequences, including fines and penalties for violating terms of service agreements or copyright laws.
Reputation-based attacks: Cloaking can be used as part of reputation-based attacks, where an attacker tries to damage a website's reputation by hiding malicious content or spreading false information.
To mitigate these risks, it's essential to:

Regularly monitor website traffic and analytics. Keep an eye on website traffic patterns and analytics to detect unusual activity that may indicate cloaking.
Conduct regular security audits: Perform regular security audits to identify potential vulnerabilities and weaknesses that could be exploited by attackers.
Implement secure coding practices: Follow secure coding practices and keep software up-to-date to prevent exploitation of known vulnerabilities.
Use reputable security tools: Utilise reputable security tools and services to detect and block malicious activity.
Develop an incident response plan. Establish an incident response plan to quickly respond to potential security incidents.
Remember, prevention is key! By being proactive and vigilant, you can minimise the risk of security breaches and maintain a secure online environment.

polonus

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2024, 08:29:29 PM »
Hi NTSS,

Website is no longer being flagged by Avast.

<snip quote>
I.m.h.o. you are good to go,

P.S. Hosting vulners to reckon with: https://www.shodan.io/host/172.66.41.33
However, running an older version of PHP may increase the risk of vulnerabilities.

polonus

Note that NTSS's post was from 25 December 2022
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD - 27" external monitor 1440p 2560x1440 resolution - avast! free  24.9.6130 (build 24.9.9452.762) UI 1.0.818/ Firefox, uBlock Origin Lite, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2024, 09:24:45 PM »
It is because someone attached a probably similar detection to an older thread. User rizwanspirit did, and doing so can lead to misunderstandings. We always advice users to start their own new postings. Extended discussion did not hurt, but DavidR is right, do not seek to confuse.

N.B. Consider my reactions in this old thread as general threat explanation, and treat it like wise.

polonus
« Last Edit: July 09, 2024, 09:50:00 AM by polonus »