Author Topic: Feature Request: Convenient Whitelisting  (Read 902 times)

Offline OneEyedTardigrade

Feature Request: Convenient Whitelisting
« on: July 20, 2024, 03:01:49 AM »
I tend to trust myself to know when I'm downloading something from a safe source. Generally speaking as a user I wish there were more of a clear distinction between "known harmful file/website" and "Avast just hasn't ever heard of this one before." Some of us came up in an era when everything on the internet didn't come from a major app store!

All that said, it can be terribly annoying and inconvenient when Avast decides to block something and doesn't even provide a one-click option to undo it. In this regard I much prefer the choices offered by Windows or other applications ("Download Anyway", "Run Anyway" etc. - sometimes hidden behind a "See More Details" button) Moreover, when it is a clear false positive it would be nice to be able to whitelist a website (or software) without going into the app and digging through menus for it.

This was an issue I had recently with a game downloaded from the internet - after several steps of trial and error (blocked download, then quarantined installer, then quarantined installed software...), I finally got the game to install and run... but then when the patcher went to update the game a week or two later, Avast went off yet again! Turns out I hadn't whitelisted the subdomain for updates, only the primary domain. This type of thing is not uncommon for online games, for a couple of reasons: they may come from "untrusted" sources e.g. due to being a private server, and they may have anti-cheat measures that look suspect to antivirus heuristics. This can get frustrating - I just want to play my game, I don't want to dig through antivirus menus numerous times! If I didn't know better I'd almost be tempted just to go without antivirus software entirely...

When the message pops up, it would be nice to have a convenient option on the "blocked" dialog window to "ignore and continue," "whitelist," and perhaps even "report false positive" so other members of the community avoid having the same issues. I realize the latter one is riskier, but at a minimum those first two options would reduce some pretty major frustration. If you don't trust the wider community with convenient solutions... maybe leave it as a "power user" feature that can be turned on once from the menus, as opposed to having to return to the menus every other week to whitelist some new false positive?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Feature Request: Convenient Whitelisting
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2024, 03:12:25 AM »
There already is when you get an alert, see attached image example that I created a few days ago.

Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD - 27" external monitor 1440p 2560x1440 resolution - avast! free  24.9.6130 (build 24.9.9452.762) UI 1.0.818/ Firefox, uBlock Origin Lite, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security