Author Topic: Avast One subscription with avast free  (Read 303 times)

Offline Paul441

Avast One subscription with avast free
« on: September 17, 2024, 05:16:38 PM »
Hello, I already have a Avast One subscription but have acquired another laptop and would like to use the Avast One subscription on this different laptop. So I downloaded Avast Free and input the code from Avast One. All seemed OK but when I tried to exit, Avast wanted me to create a new account which I tried to do but I had a problem as I was unsure whether to use the email account from the laptop or the Avast One account. So I plumped for the Avast One account and now suspect that I have made a mistake.  Can anyone help me please.

Offline Rundvleeskroket

• Poster
Re: Avast One subscription with avast free
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2024, 05:22:11 PM »
You downloaded Avast Free on the second laptop, even though you wanted Avast One, which is a different product?

Or did you install Avast One on the second laptop and uninstalled it from the first, and then installed Avast Free on the first laptop?

Or something else?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2024, 05:40:26 PM »
Since the two products are different I doubt the subscription/registration number would be interchangeable.

But as 'Rundvleeskroket' has asked, clarification is required.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD - 27" external monitor 1440p 2560x1440 resolution - avast! free  24.9.6130 (build 24.9.9452.762) UI 1.0.818/ Firefox, uBlock Origin Lite, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Paul441

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2024, 09:43:52 PM »
Hello Both and thanks for responding. I'm sorry that I didn't make myself clear. I'll have another go.
PC with Avast One
Laptop 1 with subscription from PC
Laptop 2 NEW

So because I wanted Laptop 2 to have a subscription from PC, I  thought that the best way was to download Avast Free and then put in the code that I already had from subscription put on my iPad earlier. This worked or seemed to  until I tried to exit when it asked me to log in to my account or create a new one. I wasn't clear whether to use Avast One from my PC or to create a new one for laptop 2. So I decided to use the account from my PC. The problem now is that Laptop 2 thinks it is the main account. Obviously I've dropped a big clanger but I don't know how to put it right or even if there is a way.

I hoping that I have explained the mess enough for you to understand and that you can get me out of it.

Thank you

Offline Rundvleeskroket

• Poster
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2024, 10:28:48 PM »
How many subscriptions do you have and for what exactly?
How should they be distributed across the PC and laptops, and iPad?

Offline Paul441

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2024, 12:20:50 PM »
I think that I am using the wrong phrase, when I said subscription I was talking about Family Subscription.  I have 5 devices and have used 4 leaving 1 unused which I wanted to use on Laptop-2. Those already in use are: 1 Android, 1 iPad, 1 Windows 10 PC (main), 1 Windows 10 Laptop-1.

I'm getting on in years and sometimes have difficulty in understanding so please forgive me.

Thank you.

Offline Rundvleeskroket

• Poster
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2024, 02:28:10 PM »
I personally have no experience with Avast One or the family subscription plan. I'm not sure if one of those five machines you can have on the plan needs to be the main account that manages the other ones. If so hopefully someone with more familiarity can tell you how to migrate that back from your second laptop. Once that is done, I imagine you can just uninstall Avast Free from it and install Avast One, and then use the remaining subscription to activate it.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2024, 02:52:53 PM »
I believe that the Family subscription would be for one version of Avast (Avast One I guess from your post), not different products as in your comment.

Quote from: Paul441
So I downloaded Avast Free and input the code from Avast One.

Theoretically you wouldn't need a subscription/license for Avast Antivirus Free for Windows, it just has to be registered.

So if you were using the Same Avast Product as the the one you have for the Family Subscription it should work. But not if it is for a different Avast Product such as Avast one and Avast Antivirus free version (which I use).  They both have different components making up their Products.

This is all I could find relating to Avast One Family and would only relate to that product - https://support.avast.com/en-gb/article/use-family-sharing/#pc
Quote from: Extract
Important: Family Sharing is currently only available for the following subscriptions and devices:

Avast One Family: Family Sharing is available on Windows, Mac, Android, and iOS.
    Avast Premium Security (Multi-Device): Family Sharing is available on Windows and Android.
    Avast Cleanup (Multi-Device): Family Sharing is available on Windows only.

We plan to allow Family Sharing for more Avast subscriptions in the future.

Hopefully this will help, but essentially, you can only share your Family product within that same product. Avast One and Avast Antivirus are different products.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD - 27" external monitor 1440p 2560x1440 resolution - avast! free  24.9.6130 (build 24.9.9452.762) UI 1.0.818/ Firefox, uBlock Origin Lite, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Paul441

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2024, 09:01:19 PM »
0k, thanks for trying to sort out my mess. I think that I'll have to contact Avast help.

I do appreciate the help you've given me.

Thanks again

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2024, 09:43:06 PM »
You're welcome.