Author Topic: Avast Update changed my home Network to "Public"  (Read 206 times)

Offline crosstalk

Avast Update changed my home Network to "Public"
« on: September 18, 2024, 07:34:40 PM »
Since the recent update, I noticed a lot issues accessing many different websites, after troubleshooting a lot of different ways, the only way I could make things work smoothly, was by temporarily disabling Avast, so that's the culprit. After doing some checking, I noticed my home network shows as "Public", when it should be "Private". I can't figure out how to change it back, I am not talking about changing it to "Trusted" that's easily done and I checked, it is a "Trusted" network. Trusted is not good enough though, simply because the network rules are MUCH different for private and public networks, hence the internet access issues. Any ideas how to fix this?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Avast Update changed my home Network to "Public"
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2024, 09:54:34 PM »
Same as mine, I never used to do anything, just left the settings for the Firewall and Network shields alone to default.

I too started to get hiccups connecting to many sites from my main access point my Laptop and that is essentially hardwired ('Ethernet cable' so not WiFi or Bluetooth) to my Broadband Router so should 'always be considered Private/Trusted connection. 

Even setting my regularly visited sites that I consider legit not unknown, iffy sites, I added to the exclusions.  Didn't make a blind bit of difference.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD - 27" external monitor 1440p 2560x1440 resolution - avast! free  24.9.6130 (build 24.9.9452.762) UI 1.0.818/ Firefox, uBlock Origin Lite, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline crosstalk

« Reply #2 on: Yesterday at 01:28:55 AM »
I flushed my DNS cache and seems to be working okay for now (In the Command Prompt, type "ipconfig /flushdns" and press Enter). Hope it lasts.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: Yesterday at 01:46:12 AM »
I flushed my DNS cache and seems to be working okay for now (In the Command Prompt, type "ipconfig /flushdns" and press Enter). Hope it lasts.

Thanks for that I will give it a go.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD - 27" external monitor 1440p 2560x1440 resolution - avast! free  24.9.6130 (build 24.9.9452.762) UI 1.0.818/ Firefox, uBlock Origin Lite, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security