Author Topic: Linksys wrt-54 hardware firewall/router and Avast updates  (Read 3927 times)

processwrench

Linksys wrt-54 hardware firewall/router and Avast updates
« on: February 01, 2008, 02:43:44 PM »
Just switched from NAV Internet and very pleased with Avast on many levels; understandable controls, thoroughness of product and especially the difference in speed.

I connect to a cable modem via a linksys wrt-54 firewall/router. I haven't been able to get the updates to work, either manually or automatically. From reading info on this site I understand I need to allow outgoing traffic on tcp port 80 for 5 programs, and set up a proxy (allowing incoming traffic on to localhost on tcp port 12080 and set my browser to the same proxy). Can this be done without using the proxy? Anything else I should be aware of when allowing this kind of traffic? Plus I've never done this before so if anyone can provide some details i'd appreciate it.

Offline lukor

• Administrator
  • Super Poster
    • AVAST Software
Re: Linksys wrt-54 hardware firewall/router and Avast updates
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2008, 03:04:26 PM »
Hello, wrt-54 is a hardware router, if I am not mistaken. As such it does not see any applications on your PC (localhost) - just packets on the wire. So, here no configuration is necessary. If you are running Windows NT or later (2000, XP, Vista) you should NOT be setting your browser's proxy as well.

Can you browse the web normally?
« Last Edit: February 01, 2008, 03:06:12 PM by lukor »

processwrench

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2008, 05:01:11 PM »
Yes the linksys is a hardware firewall and i've got winxp firewall shut off so I'm not sure why I can't update. I can browse but I've got to shut off a couple of Avast features, webshield and one of the network shields too.

processwrench

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2008, 01:20:43 PM »
Still no luck on getting my updates to work. I've double checked to make sure there are no left over elements of NAV to interfere. I've even gone as far as opening IE and manually typing in the download location in the address bar to confirm my computer can get to the connection and it can.

jwall

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2008, 06:49:55 PM »
I have the same set up (LinkSys router) and it works flawlessly.  I would suspect you have not removed Norton completely.  I think there is a Norton removal tool somewhere.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2008, 08:23:21 PM »
A link worth looking at, which is a program removal tool that can remove the remnants of a number of different Norton Programs:
Removing your Norton program using SymNRT
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.5.6116 (build 24.5.9153.762) UI 1.0.808/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

processwrench

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2008, 06:51:25 PM »
Went to Nortons website & downloaded and ran the removal tool, and now everything works. It very surprising to me since I had uninstalled it, checked to make sure no norton or other unknown process were running, ran CCCleaner to clean up the registry etc. So even still something I couldn't detect was preventing Avast from updating properly.

So thanks everyone for the help!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2008, 08:26:07 PM »
No problem, glad we could help.

Norton is notorious for remnants left 'after' an uninstall using add remove programs, which can really gums up the works for other software. There are times when the cynic in me thinks this is to stop you trying something else, when you experience problems you might go back to NAV.

A belated welcome to the forums.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.5.6116 (build 24.5.9153.762) UI 1.0.808/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security