Author Topic: Remote Admin  (Read 3147 times)

chevelle

Remote Admin
« on: February 07, 2008, 05:06:17 PM »
Hello

This will be a virus or malware?

Regards.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2008, 12:25:15 AM by chevelle »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Remote Admin
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2008, 08:42:34 PM »
They look more like tools to me, the problem being that a tool can be used for good or evil and an anti-virus won't know the purpose it will be used for.

Many of the detections make it known it is riskware or tool, you need to decide if it is for malicious purposes, e.g. you didn't install it and don't know anything about it.

More importantly what it is location of the files ?
Some PC manufacturers have tools on the system so they can get remote access to help resolve problems, but that is just speculation on my part without the location the files were located.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD - 27" external monitor 1440p 2560x1440 resolution - avast! free  24.9.6130 (build 24.9.9452.762) UI 1.0.818/ Firefox, uBlock Origin Lite, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

chevelle

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2008, 11:26:03 PM »
One of the files, the closeapp located in the Windows folder, and appeared on my computer after having installed a skin of Windows Vista to Windows XP.

The other two files in a folder were not now remember the name. I remember that this folder was installed due to a virus.

So I wonder whether it would not be wise to pass the Avast also detect these files? They can be a danger, therefore, the Avast could detect as file suspect.

What think?

In my first post, is the link to download such files.

Thanks.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2008, 12:12:03 AM »
The moderators aren't to keen on posting links to live or suspect malware. You could send the samples for analysis to virus @ avast.com (without the spaces) zipped and password protected with the password in email body, a link to this topic might help and possible undetected malware in the subject.

Or you can also add the file to the User Files (File, Add) section of the avast chest where it can do no harm and send it from there (select the file, right click, email to Alwil Software). No need to zip and PW protect when the sample is sent from chest. A copy of the file/s will remain in the original location, so any further action you take can remove that.

The occurrences of how they got on your system could well be legit (not sure about the skin instance though). If the other two were installed with the purpose of killing a virus infection, rather than a virus put them there, then they might have been used as a tool for good rather than evil.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD - 27" external monitor 1440p 2560x1440 resolution - avast! free  24.9.6130 (build 24.9.9452.762) UI 1.0.818/ Firefox, uBlock Origin Lite, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

chevelle

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2008, 12:24:43 AM »
I think I expressed evil. I wanted to say that they were installed by the virus. I would not say that they were installed to eliminate the virus. But I will send me as indicated for the Avast.