Author Topic: Avast Virus Chest  (Read 3638 times)

matofthemint

Avast Virus Chest
« on: November 21, 2007, 08:47:04 PM »
Why would these (see attached) be in the Virus Chest when they have no virus indicated? They are in the System Files. Should I just leave them there, remove them, or restore them?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Avast Virus Chest
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2007, 08:51:24 PM »
Note that the files are into System folder, they are back-up copies of important system files. There are (generally) files in the System Folder of the Chest: command.com, kernel 32.dll and wsock32.dll. During the installation, avast! copies some critical system files into the Chest, under the "System files" category. Those files might cause the operating system to crash if they get infected by a virus. If needed, those files can be restored from the Chest to their original location. Should an unknown virus infect the computer despite the extensive protection from the avast! antivirus package and alter an important system file, it can then be easily restored to its original state.
The best things in life are free.

matofthemint

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2007, 12:44:59 AM »
Thanks. I thought they might be 'ok' but wanted to make sure.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2007, 01:45:25 AM »
Thanks. I thought they might be 'ok' but wanted to make sure.
You're welcome. Feel free to come back any time you need help you just to change experiences 8)
The best things in life are free.

Dunkan

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2008, 02:18:13 AM »
There's only one problem, these files can not be easily restored from the chest since windows has the file locked up while windows is running. This info should be in the help file along with how to restore them if ever needed. :-\

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2008, 04:41:27 PM »
You the user shouldn't be trying to restore the files from the System Files section of the chest. They are back-up copies made by avast in case the original gets infected, if that is the case then the 'avast' detection process will do the restoration of these back-up copies.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.5.6116 (build 24.5.9153.762) UI 1.0.808/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security