Author Topic: Toshiba abandons HD-DVD  (Read 5451 times)

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
Toshiba abandons HD-DVD
« on: February 19, 2008, 03:31:40 PM »
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

ght1

Re: Toshiba abandons HD-DVD
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2008, 05:31:52 PM »
Good news for Sony PS3  :D

micky77

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2008, 05:59:27 PM »
Personally,after planting rootkits on cd's,that had been BOUGHT ! I avoid Sony products like the plague.Thats  pure greed.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2008, 06:09:26 PM »
Well I really feel bad for all the people that bought HD-DVD players and Discs only to find out they are stuck with another Betamax
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

Gouveia

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2008, 06:29:58 PM »
Personally,after planting rootkits on cd's,that had been BOUGHT ! I avoid Sony products like the plague.Thats  pure greed.
Yeah, Sony is infecting the world, but the PS3 isn't that bad. It's just more expensive, have less games, and it's kinda worst. I bought the 360 and I ain't disapointed, and it's still feet-to-feet with the PS3... Also, I heard that M$ is buying rights to build a Blu-Ray Drive for the 360

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2008, 04:30:26 AM »
Yeah, Sony is infecting the world, but the PS3 isn't that bad. It's just more expensive, have less games, and it's kinda worst. I bought the 360 and I ain't disapointed, and it's still feet-to-feet with the PS3... Also, I heard that M$ is buying rights to build a Blu-Ray Drive for the 360

Well I thought the PS3 was overpriced for what it offered. The 360 was a good deal but I dont buy anything made by Microsoft if I can avoid it so I bout a Wii  8)

Sesame

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2008, 03:35:48 PM »
I am suspicious of any format competition among companies.  Whichever win "the game",  both sides won't "win" my respect.  I like companies which try to offer better services.

However, I find my needs are more complicated than that.  I like some ideas from Nintendo but I don't play games.  If they make many more apps which help me to learn new things, I may buy them, though.  I once thought of buying but I cannot give up my habit of customizing PC.  At the moment, I use Microsoft, Google, open source products and some "free" apps such as Avast! simply because they fit my needs.

Gouveia

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2008, 07:36:12 PM »

Well I thought the PS3 was overpriced for what it offered. The 360 was a good deal but I dont buy anything made by Microsoft if I can avoid it so I bout a Wii  8)
I have a wii too. I bought it at launch, and I wasn't disapointed at it. I mean, medal of honor on the wii rocks.

justin1278

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2008, 11:42:52 PM »
We have an Xbox, but it collects dust, don't want a PS3, I like Sony products, personally have never had an issue with them, but I couldn't justify spending that much on a game console, so I too bought a Wii.

Bought it on Black Friday of 2006, I was first in line and the store only had three ;D

Love Zelda, RedSteel was OK, Sonic was OK, and Super Mario Galaxy is my favorite game so far that I have. Bought Wii Play for the extra remote, but I like Wii Sports better.

Anyways back on topic, I think it's better that Blu-Ray won, it is the superior format, and in my opinion, it is the format that will have the longer shelf life, so over time I believe the average consumer will save money because with Blu-Ray's longer shelf life they won't have to purchase the next major movie format as soon.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2008, 11:52:24 PM »

Snap, I hate Sony and haven't bought a single Sony product since the rootkit, they want to treat us like thieves I will treat them in the same way. That is why I hate the blu-ray format winning as it doesn't leave a route to avoid Sony.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free  24.8.6127 (build 24.8.9372.862) UI 1.0.814/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

justin1278

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2008, 12:46:59 AM »

Yes, I can understand how you feel, I too was upset with Sony, but it looks like we will have to live with it, Blu-Ray will be the next major media disc format and most people will adopt it eventually.
Snap, I hate Sony and haven't bought a single Sony product since the rootkit, they want to treat us like thieves I will treat them in the same way. That is why I hate the blu-ray format winning as it doesn't leave a route to avoid Sony.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2008, 01:26:58 AM by justin1278 »

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2008, 03:04:53 AM »

Very good point.  Blu-Ray does hold more Data so I think its better for large Backups, but I would have been happy with either format as both hold a great deal more than a DVD