Author Topic: Anakim  (Read 5354 times)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Anakim
« on: January 08, 2006, 09:29:55 PM »
Anakim, I took the freedom to start a theread for you as Polonus asked so (http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=14433.msg157445#msg157445).

:)
THANK YOU, TECH

As I just downloaded avast, it is just a home version, so I'm afraid I can't run a boot time check (is this right?).
I have a dial-up connection, but I did update the database (well, avast did it in the background), and performed a new "thorough" check including archives.
Nothing was found.

I have two doubts about the chest:

1) the infected file was (local) F:\EA DATA. SF. This was in the root dir, and it seems "important". Do you know if I can delete it from the chest without harming the system?. (It's a system file, isn't it?)

2) can I move important files to the chest (like sensitive texts or worksheets) so I can be "sure" they can't be harmed by any virus?; is this "supported use" of the chest?

If any of these questions have already been answered somewhere, or shouldn't be posted in this thread, pls tell me; I wouldn't like to upset anyone. (I'm a newbie in this arena...)
Thanks. ;)

ps: I'm reading your links under your signature; but I'm not yet over with them.

0. Home version has the boot time scanning as the Professional one. The boot time scanning is available only in XP and Win2k.

1. The file F:\EA DATA. SF does not seem important to me... on contrary, if it's correct, the space into the extension (. SF) is strange.
But if it is INTO the Chest, it won't harm you in anyway. Chest is safe, nothing could 'get out' of there. You can delete the file if you want but you don't have to delete it. To know if it is a system file, right click it and click Properties. If it is INTO the Chest, look at the right and see if it is into the System folder or not.

2) You can ADD (not move) personal files to Chest but once inside the Chest you can't do anything with them. They're there dot. Inside the Chest, files are not workable. The intended use of the Chest is to keep infected files and keep your system safe. To protect files you have to use the resident (Standard Shield)  ;)
The best things in life are free.

anakin

Re: Anakin
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2006, 11:17:07 PM »
Thank you again, Tech.  ;)

Polonus, and moderators: I'm sorry to have intruded the wrong thread. Pls. feel free to move / delete my comments if necessary.
 :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[

Thanks everyone for your patience.

nikkel_pickle

my new viruses!
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2008, 08:52:32 AM »
Hey guys. I have scanned my computer and found 2 trojans in svchost.exe.hdmp and svhost.exe.mdmp in my Local Settings/Temp folder. I have placed them into the Chest, but am wondering what to do with them now. I know they are safe in the Chest, but should I consider any further actions with them?

nikkel_pickle

Re: Anakim
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2008, 08:55:01 AM »
One more question: I have a 500 GB external hard drive (Western Digital) and was wondering if anybody knows whether I can scan it with Avast! The drive connects via ethernet cable. Thanks!

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Anakim
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2008, 11:47:16 PM »
One more question: I have a 500 GB external hard drive (Western Digital) and was wondering if anybody knows whether I can scan it with Avast! The drive connects via ethernet cable. Thanks!
A cross-linked cab I suppose... You can scan network drivers with avast on-demand scanning. Just choose them as the 'area' to be scanned.
The best things in life are free.