Author Topic: False positive started happening week beginning 14-Apr-08  (Read 2220 times)

slockey

False positive started happening week beginning 14-Apr-08
« on: April 18, 2008, 10:19:35 AM »
I've started getting false positives..

File "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Space.exe" is infected by "Win32:Delf-JLN [trj]" virus.
"Resident protection (Standard Shield)" task used
Version of current VPS file is 080417-0, 17/04/2008

This week, I can't get avast to ignore the file so it's throwing up messages all the time. How do I get AVAST to stop throwing this spurious error?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: False positive started happening week beginning 14-Apr-08
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2008, 02:15:14 PM »
To know if a file is a false positive, please submit it to VirusTotal and let us know the result. If it is indeed a false positive, send it in a password protected zip to virus@avast.com
Please, mention in the body of the message why you think it is a false positive and the password used. Thanks.
Other possibility is JOTTI. VirusTotal and Jotti both have file size limit of 10Mb.

As a workaround, you can add these files to the Standard Shield provider (on-access scanning) exclusion list.
Left click the 'a' blue icon, click on the provider icon at left and then Customize. Go to Advanced tab and click on Add button...
You can use wildcards like * and ?. But be careful, you should 'exclude' that many files that let your system in danger.
The best things in life are free.