Author Topic: Adaware  (Read 3222 times)

Nimshie29

Adaware
« on: June 09, 2008, 08:46:42 AM »
Hi Guys,
This is my first time on this forum and although I have looked through previous answers I still am not sure how best to fix my system.

I was subject to identity theft recently. As well as other measures I ran Spy Bot to check for ad-aware. This resulted in the repair of a couple of files by Spy bot.

After running my latest Avast scan it picked up many files (about 30) infected with ad-aware : "Win32: Adaware-gen [Adw]. The files are system files, restore files and even Documents and Settings files.

These files are now sitting in the virus chest and I have had no problems so far but feel I should restore the system files without the Adaware of course

Any advice welcome.

Regards,

Nimshie29

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
    • Don't Surf in the Nude!
Re: Adaware
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2008, 08:54:00 AM »
The system files in the chest are back-up files: you don't need to restore them unless the original file was infected or corrupted. (These files are found in a separate area of the chest from malware files.)

If you would like us to double-check that your computer is clean, post a HijackThis! log.
     Bambleweeny 57 sub-meson brain     Don't Surf in the Nude Blog

Nimshie29

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2008, 01:06:15 AM »
Thanks FreewheelinFrank,

I will post a 'HijackThis! log'.

Are not some of the files moved to the chest with malware attached to them required for smooth operation of some programs? If so how do I repair them and restore.

Many thanks,

Nimshie29

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
    • Don't Surf in the Nude!
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2008, 08:45:33 AM »
Not all files found in the system folder are really system files: malware files hide there too!

It would help if you posted the names and locations of the files detected: you can find this information in the avast! log.
     Bambleweeny 57 sub-meson brain     Don't Surf in the Nude Blog