Author Topic: New User  (Read 2534 times)

mythlady

New User
« on: June 11, 2008, 07:00:08 PM »
Hi all, new user here -- just a couple of questions.  First, am I correct that there is no automatic scheduler included in the free edition?  Either I start it or schedule only for the next time the computer reboots or starts up?

And second, is there any way that I can eliminate certain files from being scanned?  I have lots of games on the computer and also a TON of huge photograph files (I shoot in RAW), and it's just a lot of wasted time for the scanner to go through saved games and folder after folder of stuff in the "My Pictures" file.  But when I tried to uncheck just one or two things, that didn't work.

Thanks for your help.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: New User
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2008, 07:23:11 PM »
Hi all, new user here -- just a couple of questions.  First, am I correct that there is no automatic scheduler included in the free edition?  Either I start it or schedule only for the next time the computer reboots or starts up?
No scheduler. Only in Pro version.

And second, is there any way that I can eliminate certain files from being scanned?  I have lots of games on the computer and also a TON of huge photograph files (I shoot in RAW), and it's just a lot of wasted time for the scanner to go through saved games and folder after folder of stuff in the "My Pictures" file.  But when I tried to uncheck just one or two things, that didn't work. Thanks for your help.
Sure. You need to use the Exclusion lists:

For the Standard Shield provider (on-access scanning):
Left click the 'a' blue icon, click on the provider icon at left and then Customize.
Go to Advanced tab and click on Add button...

For the other providers (on-demand scanning such as the screen-saver or the Simple User Interface):
Right click the 'a' blue icon, click Program Settings.
Go to Exclusions tab and click on Add button...

You can use wildcards like * and ?.
But be careful, you should 'exclude' that many files that let your system in danger.
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: New User
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2008, 07:30:58 PM »

<snip covered by Tech>

That is correct, it is one of the limitations of the home/free version, which is rather better than losing some of the protection (seen in other free versions).

Check this work around out - HOWTO: Scheduled Automatic Scans avast! Home Version!

The major disadvantage with the task scheduler trick of using ashquick.exe is, it will scan every file of the hdd, partition, folder or file that you set it to scan; even those files not considered a potential threat, this can take a long time. It is possible to add certain folders to the exclusions list for say your media files, etc. (effectively your second question answered)

Care should be taken with the paths you want to exclude as this could leave you vulnerable if that folder got infected as it wouldn't be scanned by the on-demand scanner as you have excluded it. The on-access scanners should still scan it a) if an infected files happens to be dropped there or b) something attempts to run it.

Since we have already mentioned exclusion in relation to the ashquick.exe work around, if you chose to exclude those folders for that then they wouldn't be scanned on the Simple User Interface (on-demand) scan either.

The Pro version gives a lot more flexibility and the scan would follow the settings and exclusions, etc. of the regular scan.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free  24.8.6127 (build 24.8.9372.870) UI 1.0.818/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security