Author Topic: Avast blocking Proshow uploads  (Read 2790 times)

CaptainC

Avast blocking Proshow uploads
« on: June 10, 2008, 01:18:09 AM »
If there are any ProShow users out there that are having problems uploading shows to the shared site - please let me know if you fixed it.   The support desk at ProShow tells me that my security program is stopping me from uploading to the proshow site.  This is a new problem since i have uploaded using the same configuration previously, but proshow person says sometime it happens, and sometimes it doesn't ???

Any help out there?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Avast blocking Proshow uploads
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2008, 01:43:09 AM »
First avast doesn't block, it isn't a firewall, it merely scans and alerts to infection (at which point it would stop you doing anything with the file). So can you be more specific on exactly what is happening or not happing, e.g. what you did and what happens.

I feel you may be getting the easy answer from proshow when they say 'your security program is stopping you uploading,' that is just to much of a general answer. What they should be asking is what security applications do you have and then say what security applications might be interacting with proshow and more importantly why it might be happening and what to do about it.

The 'sometimes it happens sometimes it doesn't is a really great example of technical support 'not.'
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free  24.8.6127 (build 24.8.9372.862) UI 1.0.814/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

CaptainC

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2008, 04:54:14 PM »
Thanks for the response.  I have a feeling you are right about ProShow support wanting to fault something other than their process.  I will check my firewall next but it helps to eliminate possible problems.  Once I get this resloved, I will post what I did.  Thanks again for the quick response.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2008, 05:15:37 PM »
No problem.

Welcome to the forums.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free  24.8.6127 (build 24.8.9372.862) UI 1.0.814/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

CaptainC

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2008, 06:52:16 PM »
I went into MS security window and turned off the firewall.

When I again attempted to upload the slide show, it worked. 

I am sure there are other programs that behave the same - a thought for others
having similar problems.

Of course - remember to turn the firewall back on!!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2008, 08:21:35 PM »
That is most strange as the windows XP firewall doesn't have outbound protectioon and shouldn't interfere ???

If you are using the Vista firewall (?) it does have outbound checking, though by default it is disabled  and if you enable it you have to set the rules for those checks.

So all in all somewhat strange, perhaps it is falling into the proshow 'sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't' ;D ;D ah computers don't you just love them ;D

CaptainC

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2008, 07:43:06 PM »
I suspect there is somekind of exchange going on between the ProShow site and my computer when I try to do uploads of shows.  I guess I could come up with some kind of testing procedure to check this out for sure but once it starts working I hate to fool with it.

I did improve on my approach however.  I went into the Windows Firewall (Control Panel - Windows Firewall - Exceptions) and added the ProShow program as an exception.  Uploads work fine.   Now - do I tell the ProShow people?????