Author Topic: Winlogon Notifier - HELP!  (Read 5413 times)

kc7brown

Winlogon Notifier - HELP!
« on: June 13, 2008, 02:18:40 PM »
Last night I thought I was downloading a legitimate file.  I scanned it with Avast before opening - reported clean.  It was NOT!  So I got the virus popup, and aborted the connection.  Then Spybot went nuts with a "Winlogon Notifier" popup, incessantly!  I pulled my DSL cable from the modem, and tried to find the infected file.

I think this is at least one of them:  awtttqOf.dll    which was in my System32 folder.   But access is denied.  I ran HiJack this and checked a few things to fix, but they keep coming back on the next scan.  I booted into Safe Mode, and still can't fix with HiJack.

I'm at work now, but when I get home I need to take care of this.  If I have to reconnect to the Internet to fix it I will.  I have two 80gb drives, divided into partitions.  Two of the partitions have XP Pro SP2 on them, so I can always boot into a clean drive to post a log online.

Any suggestions on how to proceed?   Any help will be appreciated.

Offline Maxx_original

• Super Poster
Re: Winlogon Notifier - HELP!
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2008, 02:39:31 PM »
it looks like a virtumonde infection... can you tell us what was the source of it (url or some p2p)? anyway, run a HiJackThis and post the log here..

kc7brown

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2008, 02:42:34 PM »
I am at work and won't be home until after 5:30.  But I will check and see if I can pull the site out of my History.  And it would be a regular site (not P2P), since I don't use those services.

One thing of note, I am using the beta of Firefox 3 and the add-on WOT does not fully work with the new beta version.  Some sites have the red "dangerous" dot, some don't.

But at any rate I will try to find the URL and post it tonight or in the morning.

Offline Maxx_original

• Super Poster
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2008, 03:53:32 PM »
ook, post the url in non-clickable state ;)

kc7brown

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2008, 04:56:22 PM »
That is a definite OK!  Sure don't want to spread it further.....