Author Topic: Problems connecting to POP3 Server  (Read 2270 times)

AndrewD

Problems connecting to POP3 Server
« on: June 22, 2008, 05:25:21 PM »
I use avast pro, set up with the normal defaults.  Occasionally, I lose the ability to connect from Windows Mail to the ISP's POP3 server - the connection simply fails to respond.  This happened a couple of days ago.  Eventually, I discovered that the problem could be corrected by turning off avast's pop3 scanning, pulling in all my email, rebooting, an dthen re-enabling pop3 scanning.

Any suggestions what might be happening?  There is no other virus software on the system.

Thanks

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Problems connecting to POP3 Server
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2008, 06:39:07 PM »
well avast doesn't control the connection, it hasn't the ability to do that, so if by stopping the pop3 scanning it works, then what is more likely is the firewall blocking avast.

Can you send email ?

What is your firewall ?
Does it allow ashMaiSv.exe internet access ?
- If it does delete the entry for it and do a manual update and reconnect to the internet, this will force the firewall to ask permission again.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.5.6116 (build 24.5.9153.762) UI 1.0.808/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security